Pointy no posty twin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

Brooks PR with the salamander BSea PR.
I think the red one turned out a bit thicker than I would have preferred - but I was probably tired when turning. :biggrin:

044.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

045.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

Nice job with the pens! I don't always get to view your pens because it takes a bit of extra work on my end. Since you are posting them via a personal URL that gets blocked by my company I have to do a "View Source" on the page...search down using a keyword from your description...then I copy/paste the link into the browser which brings up a page where I can authorize the URL for 20 minutes. :)

Gilrock

Wow! That's not cool. My pics are just linked from my website -
Coffee Grinder Press

which is just a godaddy website.
Hmmm.....

Oh it's no fault of yours. They block a ton of stuff here. Usually we just have to hit a button to confirm we really want to goto the link but with an embedded link it just shows up as an "X". Once I do the steps I mention I can view all your photos for 20 minutes. BTW I have several domains hosted on godaddy as well...but my site doesn't get blocked from here. It must just be certain keywords on a site that trigger it.

hkstrongside

Nice work. Hey, you have a Delta 46-460 too right? Do you get any tool chatter when using a mandrel and live center? Which live center do you use or are you totally chucked now that you are doing kitless?

watch_art

Yep. 46 460.
I don't have any mandrels and I've never turned a kit pen, but I get crazy chatter when I'm turning. It's only in the middle of the piece. On the ends it's no big deal - I guess due to it being more secure at the chuck and LC.

I thought it was b/c of the tool I'm using - a woodchuck with the sorta rounded square cutter. Either the cutter isn't very sharp or I'm doing something wrong. Scraping rather than cutting the material. Unless I move sideways and cut with the corner of the bit.

Or is it the lathe? Or the live centers? I dunno.
I've got two centers.

PSI LCENTLT2 No. 2MT Heavy Duty Live Lathe Center

Amazon.com: Steelex M1068 MT No.2 Live Center Set: Home Improvement

They both get really hot when turning for a while.

I use a 4 jaw chuck when drilling and turning the piece, but flip it around and hold in a collet chuck to finish the end. Do you think the live center has something to do with the chatter?

I have noticed with PR that I get chatter as I go due to the material expanding a little bit with pressure from the LC. It heats up and expands, and I tighten it down to avoid the chatter and squalling from the sliding friction between the part and center. THe more you snug the LC down the more the piece expands.

I just try to cut side to side with the point the entire time to avoid the chatter. I get those wavy marks on the barrel and end up sanding them down when I finish.

Top Bottom