Pocket pen with cap overlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Here's a quirky little pen that was requested by a customer: A pocket pen made from "bumblebee water" acrylic, with a bronze cap overlay. This little guy uses a Visconti 14k nib that was supplied by the customer, as well as a vintage Waterman flex nib. The customer desired a pen that was small enough to fit in the little pocket of his jeans, and he wanted a bronze ankh symbol incorporated into the pen somehow, so I decided to make a cap overlay to incorporate the ankh. The large center band portion has a flat on it that acts as a roll stop, and allows the ankh to remain face up. The pen is filled with an eyedropper or syringe, and holds a fairly generous amount of ink. The cap also threads on the back of the barrel in order to make the pen a comfortable length for writing. This was an interesting project, as it was the first time I had attempted a cap overlay.

Attachments

• DSC_0933.jpg
    DSC_0933.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC_0934.jpg
    DSC_0934.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_0937.jpg
    DSC_0937.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

A very interesting pen John, with some attractive details!

Threads cap to section instead of cap to body for an eyedropper... Aren't you afraid of unscrewing the section from the barrel while unscrewing the cap, causing a nice ink shower? I am sure you have a secret...

I love the discreet threads for posting. I thought about making something similar, but always postponed the trial because I thought threads would have been fragile and the cap not firmly posted. Your opinion?

jalbert

A very interesting pen John, with some attractive details!

Threads cap to section instead of cap to body for an eyedropper... Aren't you afraid of unscrewing the section from the barrel while unscrewing the cap, causing a nice ink shower? I am sure you have a secret...

I love the discreet threads for posting. I thought about making something similar, but always postponed the trial because I thought threads would have been fragile and the cap not firmly posted. Your opinion?

Nah, the lip of the cap screws down against the body rather than on to the end of the section, so no significant amount of force is exerted on the section that would potentially cause it to unscrew when taking the cap off. As far as the the posting threads go, I see no reason why they wouldn't be robust enough to withstand writing.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I neglected to add, while I admire many of your skilled turning/penturning skills, your metalwork background really puts your artistry in a higher class.

Well done.

Curly

I like pocket pens and that is a sweet one. Interior polishing looks perfect. John would you have the sizes of it that you would be willing to share?

jalbert

I like pocket pens and that is a sweet one. Interior polishing looks perfect. John would you have the sizes of it that you would be willing to share?

Uhhhhh lets see... digging through the emails with the customer, he wanted it 3.5" capped, barrel length of about 3.5", and 5" when posted, so it's probably pretty close to those dimensions.

Top Bottom