Pocket pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

About a month ago Ben (BLLEHMAN) posted a mini pen made from a spent cartridge. I thought it was pretty neat so I started working on an easy way to do these. And I got it. $4.00 to $5.00 in parts and in fifteen minutes I can have TWO pens done complete. I am selling these for $15.00 each and they are moving pretty good. I am blessed with a large hunting population here in Michigan. I call them pocket pens because they fit in a front jean pocket about like a small pocket knife. The ink cartridge moves by twisting the nib. I have talked with Ben since I got the idea from him and he has no problems with me doing a tutorial on making these. I have never done a tutorial here, so if there is enough interest and a slight bit of help on how and where to file it, I will do one. Comments please.

Attachments

• pocket pens 016.jpg
    pocket pens 016.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 452
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

I too would like to see a tutorial. A friend recently gave me a few boxes of spent 308s and I need to do something with them...

JohnU

Very impressive. I have a few friends that would love one. Also interested in some instruction. Thanks for sharing.

CaptG

Wow, just got back from getting the charter boat ready to go in the water tomorrow and saw all the positive response. I have started taking pictures of the steps and will start writing. I use a teachers pen kit and buy an extra black mini refill for the second pen. The extra refill and an 8mm pencil tube that I get in a 6 pack of 10 inch tubes from PSI are all the parts I use. Other than the cartridge of course. I use 30 cal. ,.308 is a bit short, but if you clip off 1/4 inch of the refill it will work. 30-06 and the belted magnums work well. The local gun/reloading supply house traded me 300 used 30cal brass, mostly belted mags, for one of the pens. I am off to start writing, thanks.

CaptG

I would love to see a tutorial. I bought three 50 cal shells and have been formulating on how to make the pens. Thanks in advance.

Hi Doug, These "pocket pens" using the teachers pen kit works with .30 cal. cartridges. That .50 might be a bit big for a pocket pen, lol. There is an excellent article in the library by Paul Sherman (pssherman) on how to make a pen out of a .50 cal. case.

anapolis7

I want one of these just to go through security at the airport. My dad would get a kick out of one of these. He used to have a bullet as a keychain, but that was before TSA.

CaptG

OK, the tutorial is posted. Go to IAP management team forum and look under library manager. If I missed anything let me know. This is my first tutorial.

Stevej72

Gary, I just downloaded your tutorial, I've been checking for it every day. Now I wish I would have ordered the kits when I first saw your post and I could go down and build one. Thanks for doing this, it looks like you did an excellent job!

Top Bottom