Pocket Cartridge Pen - Next Step

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stoneman

stoneman

First off, thanks a million to CaptG for the great tutorial on how to assemble the pocket cartridge pen. His instructions were easy to follow and worked well. However, I didn't have a little mini torch so I thought I would try epoxy instead. I made four of the little buggers in various combinations of cases and colors, but now think the CaptG original using the brass case and gold tip are most economical and look nice too. It probably is not worth the extra cost and effort to buy and drill out copper plated slimline nibs (the mini refill would not slide into the spare slimline nibs I had kicking around for the full size Cross refills). Still, here are some of the custom combinations I did for fun.

Then, it had to happen, I tried turning down the base of an all copper 30 caliber bullet and drilling it to make the nib for a very realistic version. I snapped a drill off in the copper on the first try and ruined another bullet turning the base before making the third effort work. Too time consuming for "production", but not a bad way to go for a gift on occasion.

Thanks again Gary for the great tutorial. I'm now carrying one of these in my jeans pocket to give it the stress test.

Attachments

• PocketPens BrassCopper NickelChrome.jpg
    PocketPens BrassCopper NickelChrome.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 183
  • PocketPens BrassChrome NickelCopper.jpg
    PocketPens BrassChrome NickelCopper.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 165
  • PocketCartridge3006A.jpg
    PocketCartridge3006A.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 155
  • PocketCartridge3006B.jpg
    PocketCartridge3006B.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Nice job Steve. I like the bullet idea, but did not have any solid copper to play with and using the stock teachers pen nib was just to easy and blended with the cartridge neck too nice not to use. But this is just the start and I expect many improvements over time.

stoneman

I like them also. I sell a lot of 50 cal.
They would go great with a 50 cal.
Is this tutorial in the library ???

Nice work

Bruce

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45560

Bruce - my adaptations were:
1 - used epoxy instead of soldering
2 - used 150 Grain Barnes TSX all copper bullet for the custom version (drilled at 3/32" halfway through from the point and 7/64" halfway through from the base), then turned down the base behind the second copper band to original Teacher's Pen Nib diameter at (I think the diameter is about .252" where it seats into the brass tube)
3 - I also removed about 1/8" from the tip of the bullet
4 - last thing - you may have to shorted the newly turned base of the bullet a bit (I did not, but the longer bullet nib required deeper seating of the transmission and I was nervous that it might hit the end of the bullet - notice I did not have the pen tip stick out quite as much as I like for this reason - if I make another one, I'll check the depth before assembly)

Last edited:
Top Bottom