Plywood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

166467_133353750058032_100001502242963_197433_499925_n.jpg

Dad made the blank for this one. He was working with the plywood concept and wanted to see what stain would do with it. Used a trimline kit and had a little fun wotking on his equipment after getting good and used to mine. Ca finish, forget how many coats of what thickness, but it was micromeshed to 12,000 and buffed with Tripoli.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I gotta give Dad most of the credit here. The blank made the pen. He had this plywood that was really thick. Each barrel consists of just 3 pieces glued together. He cut it at 45 degrees. He had another one that he turned down. Made some nice pens.

Polarys425

You've posted a couple very nice trimlines now. Glad to see you move away from overly fattened slims.

Have you considered something like Tritons, Jr. Gents, Majestics, Navigators?

Your turning certainly seems ready....

Drstrangefart

You've posted a couple very nice trimlines now. Glad to see you move away from overly fattened slims.

Have you considered something like Tritons, Jr. Gents, Majestics, Navigators?

Your turning certainly seems ready....

The next ones I'm planning on getting on top of are Cigars and Sierras. The slims are there because I can afford to turn them every day or two. I need to generate some sales and put some money back so I can afford to order the Cigar and Sierra kits. I will probably be scouring (or just asking) IAP for a member to order them from once I get everything together. I also plan on ordiering up some Trims so I can do those, too. I just can't do a scrawny Slim. I just don't have it in me.

Drstrangefart

I love this! We're always using rare and exotics and here's a pen made from simple stock and looks stunning! Well done!

Much appreciated! I'm a huge fan of finding odd materials and making "boring" stock really work. I like exotics, but as one of my favorite designers once (many times) said, restriction breeds creativity. If I restrict myself to something mundane for a pen, then I have to find another way for the pen to stand out. It's more fun to say "I did something really clever" than to say "The blank cost $30". Again, credit to Dad for making the blank. I will be looking for other ways to exploit the plywood concept when materials and ideas strike together.

Top Bottom