PLYWOOD one-piece and another Corian one piece

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

311602_388769847849753_453845136_n.jpg

577256_388769894516415_1175221212_n.jpg

So, me and Dad were cutting up some 3/4 inch cherry veneer plywood to build shelves when I saw a remainder of a piece that was 3/4 inches square by 5 inches long. I yell PEN BLANK! To which Dad yells I DARE YA! I decided I'd head into slightly masochistic territory and shoot for the one piece just to see if I could do it. I guess this'll teach him to dare me to do something stupid. If you've ever tried to use pen blanks made from plywood, you know they tend to shatter on the lathe if an ant farts a half mile away. I'm glad it went well, had a few chunks go flying off, but I still had plenty to turn through to get past them. I did stop before I hit final size and soaked the whole thing in thin CA as an added measure of insurance and sharpened the scraper halfway through to make sure I was in good shape. Lots of LIGHT passes.

599882_388769811183090_2135562393_n.jpg

And here's another Corian one piece. I felt like I could do better than I did on the last one with some added patience and sanding. Had some rough spots on the surface of the last one. Got it all smoothed out. Sadly, this was the last piece of this particular Corian I had on hand. I really like this goofy birthday cake pattern, too.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Nice job! That is called "festival" HiMac makes one similar that is called "all that jazz"
The ladies and teens really like it with the colored componets.

watch_art

I really like the plywood thingy. I'd turn plywood pens but I hate messing with wood and acrylic and the absolute headache that they are for me.
I'd really start smashing and breaking things when the plywood would start blowing up on me. I think I'd murder the pen.
:)

Shawn (I'm not tired and wore out - I swear)

Drstrangefart

I really like the plywood thingy. I'd turn plywood pens but I hate messing with wood and acrylic and the absolute headache that they are for me.
I'd really start smashing and breaking things when the plywood would start blowing up on me. I think I'd murder the pen.
:)

Shawn (I'm not tired and wore out - I swear)

It's taken some work to quit smashing pen barrels with a framing hammer when they have issues. I used to have a pretty extensive graveyard in the far corner of my basement. The pkywood is definitely a tough turn, but rewarding when it goes right.

watch_art

I had a problem with an acrylic section today. I have no idea why it failed. I drilled it straight through with my J bit like normal. Turned it to shape and polished it - threaded it - parted it off. Flipped it in a collet holder - drilled in with the next two bits and threaded with the nib unit tap. Nothing. The nib unit just went in and acted like there were no threads at all. No clue what I did wrong, but I set the section up on my table after cussing at it and then pleading with it - begging it to work - and I SMASHED it with my hammer. I hit the smashed bits again, embedding them into my table. I didn't feel better after - but... well... yeah I did. I felt better after. :)

Drstrangefart

I had a problem with an acrylic section today. I have no idea why it failed. I drilled it straight through with my J bit like normal. Turned it to shape and polished it - threaded it - parted it off. Flipped it in a collet holder - drilled in with the next two bits and threaded with the nib unit tap. Nothing. The nib unit just went in and acted like there were no threads at all. No clue what I did wrong, but I set the section up on my table after cussing at it and then pleading with it - begging it to work - and I SMASHED it with my hammer. I hit the smashed bits again, embedding them into my table. I didn't feel better after - but... well... yeah I did. I felt better after. :)

I know that exact feeling. You should have seen me when the third cedar bowl in a row shattered about 10 seconds away from sanding. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to destroy half of a thick-based bowl with a vinyl hammer. LOTS of swearing. And throwing.

Top Bottom