Plywood Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bjbear76

bjbear76

So what do you do when you have some decent 1/4" plywood laying around not making itself useful? Make a pen from it, of course! I cut 3/4" squares, glued them together and turned it into a pretty nice looking cigar pen with a CA finish. C and C welcome

Attachments

• 100_2375a.JPG
    100_2375a.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 549
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

Looks good! Very unique idea... I would never have thought of trying plywood like that.

Rick_G

I had thought of doing that but decided against it. Didn't think is would look good, I was wrong. I likely would have gone with something other than gold for the fittings though, just for the contrast.

Penl8the

Hello Bill,

Beautiful looking pen. Do you mind posting more pictures of this pen? Specifically from the "end grain" angle. I have tried plywood before. The end grain seems to absorb the CA more than the "with the grain" side (or part) the blank. In other words, the end grain side seems to be darker.

From what I can see your pen has the same beautiful finish throughout - ie, no darker or lighter side.

Thanks in advance.

bjbear76

Brandon,

Here are shots showing 4 sides of the pen. When I glued the pieces together, I kept the grain oriented in the same direction. It probably doesn't show up in these pictures, but the end grain is slightly darker, and the opposing sides reflect more shine and depth. As far as the CA, i did not notice much difference between the end grain and the rest of the blank. One thing I did before turning was to apply a liberal coat of thin CA on all 4 sides. I figured I'd need the added support before trying to knock off the corners.

Attachments

• 100_2377a.JPG
    100_2377a.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_2378a.JPG
    100_2378a.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_2379a.JPG
    100_2379a.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_2380a.JPG
    100_2380a.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 142

Dale Allen

Nice pen and interesting idea.
I'm assuming the obvious here in that this is not the cheap imported plywood that comes from the box stores.

lwalper

Same problem with some of that colored laminated stuff sold for pen blanks. Some is OK, other turned nearly black on two sides -- completely unusable. Tried different types of wet finishes -- CA, lacquer, BLO -- each with the same disappointing results. I finally trashed that particular chunk of material.

BTW, that's a good-looking pen.

JohnU

Definitely looks like a higher grade plywood and not as cheap as the stuff I have. Lol. Nice work! I like your choice of plating on the components. It all works very well together. A nice theme... I would think you would have no problem selling these to cabinet maker / custom wood workers and hardware stores.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
My first impression was it looked like the leather ringed knife handle. Its a nice pen.

Top Bottom