Plum Pretty SlimLine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Several months ago a friend of mine cut down a dying plum tree in his yard and gave me some of the largest sections of the trunk.:biggrin: I made this pen just to see how the wood worked and I'll be darn if it didn't turn out plum nice. The wood works/turns nicely, almost like some of the nicer exotics.:wink:

I never thought about plum being so colorful although I have a feeling that it has something to do with what ever was wrong with the tree. It had a lot of decay in the center pith area and the wood gets darker the closer to the center you get. To look at the better parts of the wood it almost looks like it its oil soaked but it doesn't feel oily.

Here are three views of the pen:

IMG_1734.jpg IMG_1735.jpg IMG_1736.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

man your pens look slick fine and I like the little flare in your design. nice job and nice wood. I have flowering plum tree that's still fairly young that I have to kind of doctor it and prune it to make it little more aesthetically pleasing, I tell you what when it's in bloom( very short time) it's beautiful.
I think I can trim some limbs to make the tree look more pleasing and get some wood out of those limbs, but I was wondering if you know that how long I have to let them dry and do I need to seal them?

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
You're right. That's plum pretty! Matter of fact, it's beautiful. I like your design. Finish looks good, too.

Most of those fruit trees in the Rosacea family all have beautiful wood.

ToddMR

I like the shape you did on the bottom section. Pretty cool to make something out of the dying tree. I like the light to dark in the wood also.

Top Bottom