Pleasure to white with!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

Got my first chance to try celluloid...if you get a chance, DO IT! Not a bad pic, but the depth and motion in this material is wonderful (and the shop smells pretty neat too!)
(thanks to Charlie for the cool new stands, too!)

Attachments

• celluloid.jpg
    celluloid.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 555
  • celluloid open.jpg
    celluloid open.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 369
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

CSUSA has it in all different colors.

No they dont. Celluloid is only carried by one supplier in the US and thats American Art Plastics. Its very hard to get your hands on this material due to its dangers, which is why only one person carries it.

What are its dangers?

Celluloid is extremely flammable and even more dangerous to produce. Most US manufactures of celluloid burned down due to this and is the reason why you won't find any factories I the US making it. All manufactures of celluloid, other than AAP, are overseas. It also takea months to make a batch of celluloid so it's not extremelly cost effective and is why it cost so mch to buy.

wizard

Jon, Beautiful pen !!! Very regal looking!! Doc:)

Since it was brought up..to add to Justin's response.. From the American Art Plastics Site on the safety of celluloid:

"The main risk in working with celluloid is fire. Celluloid will burn vigorously if ignited! Thicker pieces of celluloid must be cut with a wet saw; a slow, cautious rate of feed and the use of liquid coolant are strongly recommended for any power sawing involving celluloid. Grinding and power sanding should also be done with caution, taking all necessary measures to insure that the material is not overheated. Drilling should be done at slow speeds, an inch or less at a time, backing the drill bit out regularly to allow both drill and workpiece to cool. Paraffin is a useful lubricant and coolant for drilling. Celluloid can be turned on a wood lathe, but take care to keep your tools sharp and your touch light. The risk of overheating a workpiece is generally significantly greater on a wood lathe than on a metal lathe. Every workshop should have a fire extinguisher handy, and this is particularly important in any shop where celluloid is worked."

GoodTurns

I took a small shaving from drilling...literally smaller than a fingernail clipping, and lit it ('cause I'm a guy and had to do it:wink:)...wow! something that should have given a little smoke and disappeared literally made flames... similar to "flash paper".... scary cool!

Top Bottom