Please help me figure out what this wood is ....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jayman72

Jayman72

Hey all,

I'm getting ready for my first show and I have made 80 pens for it. During the process I turned a blank that was labeled one thing and I realized it was labeled wrong. I think the main body is either Bloodwood or Red Heart but truth be told I am unsure.

Anyone have an idea?

BTW the rings are Zebrawood with strips of double thick black veneer. And the CA has only been applied. It's not been polished or cleaned up yet.

View in Gallery

Thanks in advance.
Jay
Tampa, FL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jayman72

My opinion Bloodwood. Redheart has more grain and streaks in it.

Be careful of that excess CA built up on the end of the blank. That can produce cracks in your finish.

Thanks sir. I did not know about that wood data base but its been bookmarked now. ;)

Also, with the CA on the end, that gets sanded smooth (Back to the tube and wood) again after the blank has been micro meshed and polished.

Thank You Again
Jay
Tampa, FL

keithbyrd

My opinion Bloodwood. Redheart has more grain and streaks in it.

Be careful of that excess CA built up on the end of the blank. That can produce cracks in your finish.

Thanks sir. I did not know about that wood data base but its been bookmarked now. ;)

Also, with the CA on the end, that gets sanded smooth (Back to the tube and wood) again after the blank has been micro meshed and polished.

Thank You Again
Jay
Tampa, FL

I would encourage your to sand it back before you do the final polishing - I have had some great finishes that ended up with cracks or chips because of that! If you get a small chip often times the micro mesh will take care of it. If you get a little crack often a quick drop of thin CA will fill and repair then finish polishing!

Jayman72

I would encourage your to sand it back before you do the final polishing - I have had some great finishes that ended up with cracks or chips because of that! If you get a small chip often times the micro mesh will take care of it. If you get a little crack often a quick drop of thin CA will fill and repair then finish polishing!

My Process is after the CA has dried, I remove any major excess on the edges (like in the photo) and then I go over the entire blank with 400/600/800 wet sand paper first to get rid of all ridges/bumps.

Then once its glass smooth I start the Micro Mesh process. Then a coat of Carnuba and I'm done.

I have run into cracks in the past. I was using old CA and it did not cure correctly and the finish cracked awful.

Thanks
Jay
Tampa, FL

Last edited:
Top Bottom