Playing with Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RichF

RichF

I have not done very much segmenting work, so I decided that it was time to do a little practice to improve my skills. Since this was practice, I decided to use some of the unused pine I had left over from the PITH purchase. (I know, I know, I must be crazy to use pine, but I enjoyed the challenge. Besides it is a cheap and readily available practice material.)

The pine is a single knot cut into two halves, and then segmented together with brass and some red bakelite scrap cutoffs that I thought would complement the coloring in the pine knots. I fought a bit with the blank to get it drilled and tubed. The pen is a modified cigar based on Jeff Powell's tutorial from the library. I have done several of these modified cigars recently, and really like the way they look.

I am not 100% certain that I am satisfied with the finial end, but I think that it will grow on me. After I assembled the pen, realized the black band from the cigar kit had to go, so I turned a replacement. I just wish I had thought of the black band issue earlier so I wouldn't have done the segment of on the nib end of the blank.

Overall, I am happy with the results, and I definitely learned a lot that will help in the future. All comments welcomed.

Attachments

• DSC02425.JPG
    DSC02425.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC02424.JPG
    DSC02424.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 258
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom