Playing with more scrap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

alamocdc

Had some cutoffs left from Christmas cutting boards so I decided to play around a little. This is the result.

2008421235515_sierraCH_seg_alum_layers.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
[:0][:0][:0][:0]
Came into the thread hoping that there was another good idea for scraps!

Almost fell out of my chair at how beautiful that is. So much for an idea I can use.[B)]

That is the coolest thing! Front page material for sure.

tmhawk

Now you've done it. My wife wants a cutting board made out of that and looks exactly like that (she's a personal chef), good golly man I can't do that? That is ONE fantastic pen. Way to go!

Tony
Phoenix, AZ

alamocdc

Thanks for all the kind words, folks!

Originally posted by ahoiberg

what the heck are the strips made of? great look.

The strips are made from 7 layers of aluminum soda can and 6 layers of dyed wood.

Originally posted by tmhawk

Now you've done it. My wife wants a cutting board made out of that and looks exactly like that (she's a personal chef), good golly man I can't do that? That is ONE fantastic pen. Way to go!

Tony, she wouldn't want the aluminum in her cutting board. If you are talking about an end grain cutting board, I have one on my web site that she is more than welcome to purchase.[}:)];)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice!!!!:D I particularly like that you kept the cuts shallow enough so that when you finished the ends, the stripes stopped before the end of the blank. Very effective:D

alamocdc

Serge, this piece actually has Maple, Walnut and Cherry in it. The largest piece you see is the Maple, and the darker is the Walnut. The Cherry is only about 1/2" long after trimming. The cutting boards were end grain so the grain in the pen runs perpendicular to the pen (in other words, cross-cut). But it turned more easily than I expected... largely because of the aluminum addition, I suspect.;)

Top Bottom