Playing with Knots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from papaturner

papaturner

Decided to do a couple of knots.....but a bit different for me.
The first on is done with Holly,Purpleheart,and Pick Guard. The body is Holly, the knot is pick guard in a field of purpleheart and the finial is purpleheart. The finish is a simple friction polish. The kit is an Executive.

The second is done with Red oak and Walnut. The body is Oak,the knot is oak in a field of walnut. The finial is also done in walnut. Finish is CA topped off with Ren. wax. The kit is an Executive.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• purple.JPG
    purple.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 340
  • oakknot2.JPG
    oakknot2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Those are really cool!!! I like the way you inlayed the knot into a different wood... And the custom tops are GREAT. Was there any special trick? I have a few executive kits and would like to try that.

Last edited:

davinci27

Look great Perry! I'm jealous of the nice even loops on the knots. I think I'll get up and go out to the shop now:biggrin::biggrin:.

Ben

papaturner

Those are really cool!!! I like the way you inlayed the knot into a different wood... And the custom tops are GREAT. Was there any special trick? I have a few executive kits and would like to try that.

Thanks guys for the comments.....

Dean, The only trick I suppose was to use an 8mm tube for the finial,the inside dia. is a perfect fit for the transmission of the Executive. :biggrin:I did not have a bushing to match up so I just used calipers to get the proper fit.
Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thanks guys for the comments.....

Dean, The only trick I suppose was to use an 8mm tube for the finial,the inside dia. is a perfect fit for the transmission of the Executive. :biggrin:I did not have a bushing to match up so I just used calipers to get the proper fit.
Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know.

THANKS! Mental note to check for extra 8mm tubes next time (so I don't steal from my click pen kits:biggrin:)

I use calipers most the time - so I REALLY hope you don't mind me stealing this idea someday:rolleyes:

MobilMan

Nice pens. I like the different inlay for the knot also. very diff. What are you cutting your kerf with to match the pickgard thickness. I've thought of using aluminum but blade thickness is the question. A thin kerf TS blade is still thick for pens. Even band saw blades don't match. Thanks

papaturner

Nice pens. I like the different inlay for the knot also. very diff. What are you cutting your kerf with to match the pickgard thickness. I've thought of using aluminum but blade thickness is the question. A thin kerf TS blade is still thick for pens. Even band saw blades don't match. Thanks

Richard, Thanks for the comments. The blade that I use is a 7 1/4 Stehle. My son sells tooling to the furniture and cabinet industry and he gave it to me. The kerf is the thinnest that I have found and fits the single ply pick guard perfect. However the multi-ply pick guard is too thick. I use it in an old Ryobi TS that I have. The blade I think is made in Germany and is for a circular saw. Hope this helps.

And of course I don`t mine any of you folk using the idea. After all most I do, I learned from you all.:biggrin:

RichB

Those are super pens. The first time I looked at them my eyes looked at them different each time. One loop over the other or is in under the other. Just my eyes. I haven't figured out how to do that fancy stuff yet, but someday. Keep it up it looks GREAT

ribanett

Very, very nice.

PAPA I think you have caused me to take on some extra work.
As I was viewing your thread, LOML came up behind as said "Wooo, Nice Pens, can you make me one like the first picture?" As everybody knows, this is not a request, but a command from SWMBO.

Top Bottom