Playing with jewels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

We were wandering through Michael's the other day and Chrissy spotted the wall full of little plastic jewels and decided to play around.

These are 4mm spaced evenly around the barrel. We learned a few things that will be done different next time and I think I nicked the tops of 2 of them when I was turning down some built up CA. They have a little white spot on them that looks like a scrape from the chisel.

For a proof of concept, I think I like the possibilities this opens up.

Attachments

• IMG_0501_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0501_1 (Custom).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0502_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0502_1 (Custom).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0504_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0504_1 (Custom).jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0506_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_0506_1 (Custom).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 151
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

These are under the CA and you can't feel them. Had an issue with depth though on this kit. I ended up at the brass with the holes and they were still a bit proud so I had to build up the CA along the length to flush them in.

Oh yeah, the main body is padauk with maple and copper (or brass, not sure what she used) segmented in.

Last edited:

ToddMR

I like the embedded look on that. I also like the inlay you did too. I think you have something very cool in the works.

BSea

I think the accent ring with brass looks great with that pen. I'm not much of a jewel fan though. Still it's a cool idea that can be done with a variety of items. Great job!!

PenPal

Carl,

I believe this pen kit lends itself best to a faceting cut that lifts the geometric shapes either end. Having said this I have made some this way and the material left on the barrell to me is so thin that embedding jewels become impractical unless one did actually penetrate the brass sleeve and inset more deeply, this is practical, possible then your present predicament is solved.

I like the rings applaud any attempts to individualise kits such as this one. Please send me your E Mail addy and so as not to take anything away from your pen show you in pics my thoughts.

Kind regards Peter.

rherrell

Here's one I did a looooong time ago....

It's not a jewel but rather a piece of Malachite, you can buy them in many different diameters.

Top Bottom