Playing with PR again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I don't think I've posted this pen yet. The colors were done using India Ink as the pigment. There is a little luster powder that I wish I had left out this time. Cast using pressure paint pot...no air bubbles anywhere [8D] I have some snake skins ready to cast tomorrow. I'll show that casting whan I take it out...maybe even a pen the next day...or maybe to the trash...we'll see. Enjoy and comments always welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200612954512_red%20black%20pr%20white%20stripe.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Your casting technique for these pens were great. I like the designs that came out.
Very nice pens. WWWhhhhyyyy hasn't my pot come yet ?? [:D]

its_virgil

Thanks for the comments. The white swirls are not caused by the pot. All the pot does is allow pressure to be introduced and squeezes any air bubbles so small that they can't be seen...no voids, no bubbles...As for the swirls...I'll share when the process is a little better perfected. Actually someone else has shared the process and it went by without being noticed by most of us. Three of us and possibly the original poster are working to perfect the process and when we are happy with the process we will share... and about pressure casting also. Waiting is such sweet agony[:D]

Do a good turn daily!
Don

coach

Don't want to hijack your thread Don, but I have a question/thought for you. Do you think you can stabilize with pressure as opposed to a vacuum? Could be the same idea. Push the air out and mixture in rather than suck the air out. If I have hijacked your thread, I'll email you about it.

its_virgil

I have not tried to stabilize any wood at all so I don't think I can answer. I think PR as we know it cures to fast. Maybe it can be done with polyurathane or the plexiglass dissolved in acetone. My thoughts on stabilizing: For $1 per blank done by the guys who do it professionally is more than fair, at least for me. By the time I buy the chemicals and equipment, I could have 100 blanks done and done by the experts. I mainly cast snake skins because I can do them MUCH cheaper that the current selling price. I play with the colored stuff for fun. We can talk and I could try if you have a process I can try. Let's talk.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by coach
<br />Don't want to hijack your thread Don, but I have a question/thought for you. Do you think you can stabilize with pressure as opposed to a vacuum? Could be the same idea. Push the air out and mixture in rather than suck the air out. If I have hijacked your thread, I'll email you about it.

thetalbott4

For some quick reinforcing of punky woods, home brew vacuum stabilizing works. But Don is right. For $1.10 a blank you get a pro result and dont have to worry about blowing up your shop with highly flammable liquids. Guess what happens when you mix flammable fumes with an electric vac source? BOOM. Just my opinion.

its_virgil

I buy the resin at http://www.mrfiberglass.com

Or do you mean sell some of the snake skin blanks? I don't think I can sell them any cheaper than what BB sells them for. I can make them cheaper for my own turning. There is lots of time in making a casting + a failure now and then.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />You want to sell some of PR????[:p][:p]

Draken

Could the method you refer to be the flavor injector syringe method? I noticed a reference to it awhile back, and it intrigues me, waiting for it to warm up around here so I can cast some more PR.

Cheers,
Draken

its_virgil

I don't really want to get into selling the blanks. Working full time leaves me little time to play, and I would rather turn than make blanks to sell. Ed Davidson, aka YoYo spin on this forum, does a great job making many different colored blanks and sells them at a very fair price. Check out his work in the classified section. And give him a holler.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I was referring to the colored resin blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom