Playing with Casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Been real busy away at work for the last couple of weeks and needed to play for a few hours this morning before heading off again. Roll on retirement:rolleyes:

First little one is a twist nib mini. Fun and only about a half hour to make. LOL, and that was mostly to find a tube to sleeve the casing with.:biggrin:
A little more tricky was the Casing Pen Clicker. This has a solid copper nib.
I was going to use the blue PR on both halfs ( halves:confused:?) But wanted the full bullet to be obvious.
The mini is a 306 and the clicker was three 30-08's.
C&C's welcome:wink:

Does anyone know if Smith and Wesson have a branded casing similar to these? I have a really cool blank to go with it, but it needs to be S&W.

Attachments

• CasingClicker.jpg
    CasingClicker.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 266
  • ClickerCasing2.jpg
    ClickerCasing2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 236
  • MiniTwistNibCasing.jpg
    MiniTwistNibCasing.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 217
  • CasingBits.jpg
    CasingBits.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Smith & Wesson did manufacture ammunition in Rock Creek, Ohio (headstamp "S&W") - I don't know if they still make any. They also partnered with Fiocchi in Alton, Illinois (headstamp "S&W-F"). I don't know if either plant ever made 308 or 30-06 caliber ammunition.

You could use a shellcase in 40 S&W caliber. That is a pistol caliber but it would have "S&W" on the headstamp. A 40 S&W case is a little smaller in diameter than a 30-06 or 308 case, which would result in a tapered upper section.

Regards,
Eric

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, these are just my 'warm up' exercises for the casing challenge:wink:

John, I'm not sure if that blue PR was from Dawn, but I did get the casings from her much uglier other half who kindly sent them to me last year.:biggrin:

Eric, many thanks for that info. ' a little smaller' could be a problem for me and although I would much prefer to keep it authentic, I may have to cheat and turn some brass and get it engraved. However, if you come across any S&W casings I'd be more than happy to buy, trade or beg for a few. :biggrin:

Cheers

Mark

Nicely Done.

I can't think of any ammo manufactured by S&W. I believe they are on making the actual firearms, knives, etc. No ammo.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Eric, can you send them to me first?? :devil::smile-big:

Geez woman!!!! Gimme a break!!!:devil: You've already stolen my heart and now I'd have to pay an arm and a leg to get them from you. :tongue:

However....as you are so impressed by my er 'clicker', perhaps we could do a trade:biggrin::biggrin:

PR_Princess

Let's review.

A short stubby end, kinda skinny and

..........blue!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Maybe not so 'impressive' my little ratty friend!!!:tongue:

But it IS a nice PEN!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
What's this casing contest you speak of? Skiprat those are some nice csaing pens. Just trying to figure out how you did the click pen. I really like how you threaded the lower portion.

JerrySambrook

Hey Steve and Dawn,

Guess who MAY have a few hundred of those just lying around??:rolleyes:

in .40 S&W:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As far as rifle cases with aS&W headstamp, neither I, My coach who worked there for many years, or the guys in the performance shop, nor the academy teaachers have ever heard of rifle casing having an S&W headstamp.

There MAY be some out there, but I will be very doubtfull when I know employees who worked there for over 25 years, shot for their teams, and such do not know about such an item

Oh Yeah, Dawn, I did track that other thing back to YOU!!!:mad::mad::)

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Eric, many thanks for that info. ' a little smaller' could be a problem for me and although I would much prefer to keep it authentic, I may have to cheat and turn some brass and get it engraved. However, if you come across any S&W casings I'd be more than happy to buy, trade or beg for a few.
The rim diameter of a 308 shellcase is nominally 12.0mm (I measured a few and they came out around 11.7mm). The rim diameter of a 40S&W case is nominally 10.77mm (but measure closer to 10.7mm). You're using 308Win now, so you'd only have to taper the upper barrel by about 0.5mm on each side. Can you accomodate that? Another choice would be 44 S&W Special. That is a revolver caliber with a raised rim and a case mouth diameter of 11.6mm.

If I were doing the pen, my main concern would be mixing rifle and handgun brass. While that would be neat for someone who had a combination gun, I think others would find it incongruous.

I have 40S&W and 44S&WSpl cases left from when I reloaded those calibers. I'd be happy to send you some with the following caveat. I don't have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and don't want to be in the business of selling reloading components. Various states in the US have different laws regarding the sales and purchase of ammunition and components. I don't want to keep track of all their requirements, let alone those of other countries. To avoid a visit from the BATF, I'll only send brass or bullets that have been rendered unusable for reloading. In other words, drilled-out.

Regards,
Eric

casing clicker question

Great pens as usual. I do not get many request for clickers and am not familiar with them. Is the threaded coupling part of the kit or a custom piece? Any info you are willing to share or if you can point me in the right direction to discover for myself is appreciated.

Thanks for inspiring the rest of us,

Brian

Been real busy away at work for the last couple of weeks and needed to play for a few hours this morning before heading off again. Roll on retirement:rolleyes:

First little one is a twist nib mini. Fun and only about a half hour to make. LOL, and that was mostly to find a tube to sleeve the casing with.:biggrin:
A little more tricky was the Casing Pen Clicker. This has a solid copper nib.
I was going to use the blue PR on both halfs ( halves:confused:?) But wanted the full bullet to be obvious.
The mini is a 306 and the clicker was three 30-08's.
C&C's welcome:wink:

Does anyone know if Smith and Wesson have a branded casing similar to these? I have a really cool blank to go with it, but it needs to be S&W.

Top Bottom