Playing backup QB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

So here we have a SD Tru-quarter, or as I prefer to call them Tru-Cheddar, Tru-Scratch, Tru-Deniro, or Tru-Jingle. It has a Rhodium finish. Originally I order a Blk Ti kit for this pen thinking it would really make the quarter stand out, but when I got it I change my mind and went with the Rhodium. I am not going to lie the pucker factor was high turning this pen. My shop was right around 50 degrees and I was still sweating! These things turned like a charm though. Before I turned them I asked Seamus for advice for turning them and he told me all I need was a good sharp skew and some skills. Ha! I showed him. I turned this with my Woodchuck Pen Pro and dumb luck. When it was all said and done I couldn't be happier, but I must admit with all the work that goes into one of these blanks the simple act of turning them is like a backup qb coming in for the last play of the game to take a kneel down after the starting qb, Seamus in this case, has already got the game in the bag. Thoughts, critiques, critism, compliments are all welcome.

Tru-Quarter 3.jpg

Tru-Quarter 5.jpg

Tru-Quarter 6.jpg

And the Jonathon Brooks Close-up
Tru-Quarter Closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Turned out PERFECT Derek! Rhodium was a good choice too. It works well with the colors in the blank. I'm still sweating from when I turned 2 of these blanks last week! They sure are beautiful though.

btw...diggin the photo's :wink:

MarkD

Great Job Derek! I think you picked the perfect finish!
I can also relate to the "sweat factor". That Seamus has been a busy guy lately!

seamus7227

SOUTH DAKOTA TRU-QUARTER™

very well done, this guy Derek pulled a great prank on me last night when he called and told me he had a blow out over the quarter. Of course, to date, that i know of, no one has ever had any issues turning these, but hey, there is always a first. And so of course I was gonna fix his mistake, but now after seeing the pics I realize I had been had! I was buying into the whole thing too, gees. whats wrong with me, must be gettin' old.:rolleyes: LOL. Its all good!

Great work by the way! It really turned out well! I think I may take those pics and post them in my gallery!

bitshird

Seamus, is there some hidden innuendo in your "getting old" ? what was I going to say??
Oh well I'll figure it out later.
By the way Derek sure made a nice pen didn't he.. Oh look a kitty cat!!

D.Oliver

Turned out PERFECT Derek! Rhodium was a good choice too. It works well with the colors in the blank. I'm still sweating from when I turned 2 of these blanks last week! They sure are beautiful though.

btw...diggin the photo's :wink:

Thanks Jonathon. I tried to create a photo setup modeled after yours. My results thus far haven't been to the standards of your photos, though.

I think you did a good job turning this one too Derek. Seamuss blanks are way cool. :biggrin:

Great Job Derek! I think you picked the perfect finish!
I can also relate to the "sweat factor". That Seamus has been a busy guy lately!

Seamus, is there some hidden innuendo in your "getting old" ? what was I going to say??
Oh well I'll figure it out later.
By the way Derek sure made a nice pen didn't he.. Oh look a kitty cat!!

Thanks Chuck, Mark and Ken.

very well done, this guy Derek pulled a great prank on me last night when he called and told me he had a blow out over the quarter. Of course, to date, that i know of, no one has ever had any issues turning these, but hey, there is always a first. And so of course I was gonna fix his mistake, but now after seeing the pics I realize I had been had! I was buying into the whole thing too, gees. whats wrong with me, must be gettin' old.:rolleyes: LOL. Its all good!

Great work by the way! It really turned out well! I think I may take those pics and post them in my gallery!

You act so innocent and don't mention anything about how you shipped them. So I get these blanks at noontime and I'm excited. Seamus has repeatedly told me how awesome these look and I can't wait to see for myself. I rip that package open only to find the blanks wrapped in bubble tape. Ok, so I rip the bubble tape off to get my first peek, only to find that they are wrapped in 874 ft of painters tape. Okay so I rip the painters tape off only to find that the resin from the tape has left the tape and is firmly attached to the blanks obscuring my view. But wait, the two flat sides that tape wasn't touching are without resin and I can get a view.....of nothing but the blue tube. Not a hint of a quarter or state seal to be seen. So these blanks set on my desk for the next 4.5 hrs taunting me. Now most people would just think that 115 degree heat was probably to blame for the resin melting from the tape and transferring to the blank, but not me. This was all part of Seamuse master plan. How else would you explain the resin only cover what I really wanted to see. By the end of the day my anticipation had built to a level that I would have kicked a kitten to get a look at those blanks! So I got even with him.

Oh and I'd be honored for you to use my photos to make all your pens look better. Just don't post it next to Brook's pictures. That would be like hanging fridge art next to the Mona Lisa.

Last edited:

seamus7227

You act so innocent and don't mention anything about how you shipped them. So I get these blanks at noontime and I'm excited. Seamus has repeatedly told me how awesome these look and I can't wait to see for myself. I rip that package open only to find the blanks wrapped in bubble tape. Ok, so I rip the bubble tape off to get my first peek, only to find that they are wrapped in 874 ft of painters tape. Okay so I rip the painters tape off only to find that the resin from the tape has left the tape and is firmly attached to the blanks obscuring my view. But wait, the two flat sides that tape wasn't touching are without resin and I can get a view.....of nothing but the blue tube. Not a hint of a quarter or state seal to be seen. So these blanks set on my desk for the next 4.5 hrs taunting me. Now most people would just think that 115 degree heat was probably to blame for the resin melting from the tape and transferring to the blank, but not me. This was all part of Seamuse master plan. How else would you explain the resin only cover what I really wanted to see. By the end of the day my anticipation had built to a leve that I would have kicked a kitten to get a look at those blanks! So I got even with him.

Oh and I'd be honored for you to use my photos to make all your pens look better. Just don't post it next to Brook's pictures. That would be like hanging fridge art next to the Mona Lisa.

PRICELESS!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

D.Oliver

Oh yeah, and let's not let it get back to Brooks that I compared his pictures to fridge art!:biggrin:

BSea

I think you nailed it. Both in your pen, and how it feels to turn one of those blanks. They do make a statement though. I've also done 1 . . . . . but just one. If/when I do another, it will be from a custom order.

Top Bottom