Playing around with herring bones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Vince_Hoffmann

Here are a couple of pens I made today. The first pen is 1/4" strips of pink and white eucalyptus cut at 60 degrees. I didn't get all of the angles just right but it turned out nice and was immediately claimed by my wife :)

The second pen is mahogony, also cut at 60 degrees but using 3/8" stock. Learning from my first experience, all of the joints on this pen are perfect and will soon become the possesion of my favorite mother in law :D

I don't have the photography setup as many here have, so please grin and bear it.

Enjoy!

MVC-194F.jpg

MVC-199F.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I'm not ordinarily a big fan of segmented pens, but I like these very much. The photos are nice and clear as well. Nice work.

Dan

Thanks guys! The camera is a 10 year old 2.5 megapixle mavica that uses floppy disks![:I]
I made enough glued up herringbone stock to complete two more pens (one of each above) before I move on to some other inlay ideas I've been kicking around.

Grizz

Banned
Wow, those are nice. I wouldn't think the lighter color would work... but that is my favorite. Keep up the good work.

bitshird

I think your herring bone inlays are beautiful,I wish my band saw was of a quality that I could cut wood that close, still afraid of my miter saw chucking parts back at high rates of speed.[B)][xx(][:0][xx(]

Originally posted by bitshird

I think your herring bone inlays are beautiful,I wish my band saw was of a quality that I could cut wood that close, still afraid of my miter saw chucking parts back at high rates of speed.[B)][xx(][:0][xx(]

Thanks for the compliment!
Actually, I've got a cheesy cheap 9" Ryobe bandsaw that barely gets up to speed and don't even think of trying to cut oak with it! :(
Those clean edges came from careful gluing and sanding each joint on the benchtop belt sander, one of the most useful tools in my shop.

JohnU

Both pens look very nice. I like the first one over the second. I think the thinner pieces give the pen more character (IMHO). I think we can probably all relate to your pen grabbing family! Keep up the good work!
Originally posted by rincewind03060

Nicely done!

When I first read the topic title, The image that popped into my head was a clear PR casting containing real fish bones.[xx(]
...Hhhmmmmmm? so how long with it take Karl to work this one out?;)

Top Bottom