Playing around....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MatthewZS

MatthewZS

These are two examples of me playing around. One started as an oops. The twist pen was an American style in Texas Ebony and Maple Burl. Somewhere between choosing a kit one day and putting it on the lathe I got the wrong tubes. Didn't catch it till after I'd turned the blanks. So I glued a second correct tube set inside to bring it to the correct size but this caused a problem with the center rings which now couldn't be installed. In the process of fixing that, a problem with the length of the upper tube came up and I was inspired to add the custom fineal on top. Lastly the clip is from some unknown pen which just happened to fit the reduced size of the top half of this pen. It was fun, and next time I'll remember some procedural photos.

The second one, I don't recall the style name, but I decided to try and produce one stick pen style using a good old fashion 99 cent Uniball Finepoint for the "guts". I had no mandrels, no bushings, nothing. The drill bit was my mandrel my squaring jig was some super glue, a few pine scraps and a belt sander. There are a few spots where the process could be refined but overall.... I'm pleased. Oh, the stick pen is Persimon (from my back yard) and ebony.

Attachments

• pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 130
  • stick.jpg
    stick.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Top Bottom