Playing Around

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Playing Around... Basketball Court Pen

OK, so I scored some flooring that used to belong in a local basketball court. Some of it is nice and curly (not much, but some). The rest, is rather plain looking maple. Anyways, the first pen is a piece of curly. The second, is the prototype of what I am thinking about doing with the not so pretty stuff. I will embellish it more later, but it is a start. The "court" is only on one side of the pen, the back is just more of the plain stuff. Feedback is appreciated.

bballsierra.jpg

courtsierra.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

That looks neat! I really like the look of the "flooring" sections. I would think about having them repeat all the way around the pen and also incorporate a few more of the vertical joints, maybe two joints per horizontal run.

If you make up a 3/4" x 3/4" from 9 pieces of wood, each 1/4" x 1/4" then you would have the pattern repeating all the way around the blank. If you are really patient you could take 36 1/8" x 1/8" pieces to make up the 3/4" blank.

hewunch

Well Keith, I got to tell you, I like the one sided floor personally, but I have decided to go with progressively thiner strips. The center being the thickest, then about 1/2 the previous one on either side then 1/2 that. So that the strips will look the same size when turned. I am going to add joints too.

Top Bottom