Playing around

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ken69912001

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken69912001

A week ago txbob converted a pen he got from Walmart. They were 3 for 1.97. Heres one where I changed both ends on. The wood is spalted curly maple. Comments welcome.

2006828214759_click%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carverken

I dont know about anyone else but I like it. The wood is very nice. Did you use a punch to take the original apart or does it twist apart?

rpasto92

I have 3 comments on this
1. It looks great...nice work
2. Although it looks great, how cheap are the pieces? I'm guessing the nib is plastic, not metal, and the clip is probably a little weak too?
3. You can get very nice slimline kits for $2/each. These are what, 66 cents? So you are saving 1.34 but giving up quality parts in exchange. With slimlines, most of the cost is in the labor and wood so you are making a $25, quality slimline into a $23.66 cheap slimline. In addition, if time is money, and you want to make lets say $30/hour for your time, that's 50 cents a minute in labor so if it takes you more than 3 minutes of extra work to make this conversion, you are either doing it for free or will have to charge your clients more for inferior parts.

If I am wrong and the guts of these pens are great quality, please let me know and I will eat my words in the car on my way to WalMart. Also, please do not read into this any negetivity towards your craftsmanship...the pen does look great.

ken69912001

Ryan I appreciate your comments but as my post says I was just playing around with this pen. I have no intention of selling any of these pens what so ever.And besides I wanted a click pen as a carry pen. The click part seems soild enough but the refill could be better.
Your comments are very welcome.

alamocdc

Ryan, I have one like this and the nib is metal. But I fully understand and agree with your basic philosophy. In the one I have, the barrel beneath the soft grip and upper blank is plastic. That being the case, I wouldn't want to reproduce these for sale. However, turning one just to see what I could do with it just to carry if it worked would be a neat novelty pen. JMNSHO[:D]

Ron Mc

Ryan,
I hope your on your way to the store to get some. I purchased several packs and am really surprised at how well these pens are made. Lots of possibilities with these things. I already made one like TXBOB with Black dyed curly maple and it looked fantastic. My rep looked at it and said that she could sell lots at the bank. The way I see it it's worth a go.

Nice pen! I was looking at this idea but couldn't figure out how.....wait a minute....I just got an idea![;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom