Playin My Fiddle on My Back with Guitar Picks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

My wife said I needed to use my guitar picks that I bought on FeeBay. I decided to cut a V shape through the Fiddleback Maple with the scroll saw at 1/4" spacing and alternate the 4 colors. I then ripped the blank down the middle and glued a strip of Purple Heart and place some small dia tubing. After turning to near the shape I wanted I filled the holes with the same colors as the picks are. The over glue and mica are the scewed off and the 10 coats CA and deep and light scratch compound. That is about it Im thinkin.
Comments bad or good always welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5449.jpg
    IMG_5449.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5451.jpg
    IMG_5451.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_5453.jpg
    IMG_5453.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5454.jpg
    IMG_5454.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Since you asked, I think the dots detract from the pen. A straight guitar pic pen is good enough for me!

Thanks everyone. I am in a busy looking pen phase where the more going on and to look at the better.

If I had a real scroll sway instead of a Harbor Freight bounce saw, it would have taken maybe 1/2hr - 45min to make the blank. Well maybe an hr with the copper tubing .

wiset1

I don't know how....and I don't know when..., but I'm going to make one of these pens...ONE DAY, I'm going to make one of these! :) Another amazing turn

I don't know how....and I don't know when..., but I'm going to make one of these pens...ONE DAY, I'm going to make one of these! :) Another amazing turn
haha you have some awesome pens. I know because I just went though your IAP Photo gallery an saw them and your segmenting is cleaner looking then mine is + you already have done one like this kinda. It is the one titled segmented Majestic idea I believe it said. You just have to do that a few more times with the V thing.
By the way. How do you get a gallery on here?

wiset1

Brian,

I just sent you a PM on how to set this up. Can't wait to see what you post!

Best wishes

MorganGrafixx

VERY nice design. I'm loving the dots and the v-lines. Not a fan of the rainbow color, but that is definitely one heck of a pen! Well done!!!

MartinPens

Absolutely love it! I like how the angled pic segments draw the eyes into the dots. The contrast in colors is great. There is the slightest misalignment in the dots on the cap. This really lends itself to a black and white version that would look like a tuxedo.

Any chance you would be willing to take a few pictures of the process as you make the next one? I would really like to try something like this.

thanks for sharing - I think it's fantastic.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

srf1114

I too like it, but like someone else mention is is very "busy", which of course is what you wanted.

I think either of the techniques you combined ( the v shape picks and the straight back filled in tubes) would make a stellar pen all by them selves.

Still it is a gorgeous pen.

Woodlvr

I agree that your pen is totally awesome. That is some very nice designing and pattern that you came up with. That should be a good seller for you with a musicians group if you are interested in selling it and others I would guess. Keep up the great work.

wizard

Brian, Beautiful pen with an awesome job of segmenting and accenting!!
I'm not sure how I missed this one. I would love to see if you would do a tutorial on how you do your segmenting. As usual, your work is inspiring!
Thank you for showing. Regards, Doc:)

Top Bottom