Play time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

In my opinion the pen hardware manufacturers are making the nibs entirely too long. So I turned some music on and sat down and took a close look at several deferent types to see what I could do about it.
I've also wanted to make a pen in which the cap snaps on instead of screw on so that I could get rid of the center band as well as the threads.

This is what I came up with for a first attempt. It is amazingly comfortable to write with since the length of the lower barrel is much longer than normal. Just in case you can't tell the upper barrel has been shortened as well.
Modified JRII with wood type of stabilized Gold dyed Big leaf maple burl.

closedo.jpg

open2o.jpg

As always comments and concerns welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ron - Good idea, but the "joint" leaves me cold. It looks "disjointed" for some reason. Have you though of countersinking to lessen the impact of the joint? A step might also look less abrupt. Also, how long is the pen when closed?

johncrane

RON! your pen looks fantastic' beautiful timber and the changes l like.also with the cap end'when posting the cap was there any problems with scratching. Also Ron l think this would be a good (how to) write up.[:D]

Ron Mc

First off remember that this is a test. I agree that the transotion between the cap and lower barrel is rather abrupt and I have already worked this out.[;)] This concept has been worked out so that the joint can really be any shape you want. That is what I am after in the long run.

The interesting thing with this particular test is that the wood does not get in the way of the nib when writing. Actually it feels much better than the norm due to the length of the lower barrel.

Scratches? You know me better than that. On the inside of the cap the part that snaps is plastic. It happens to be available in a very popular pen kit.[;)]

Length? Hold on a second....A little longer than a typical JSII. Yet, It can be shortened. Actually I want to make one in which the cap is much shorter to see how it looks.

gerryr

I like this idea. Too bad that's such an ugly nib.[:D] But, it if can be done with this kit, it can also be done with a Baron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom