Platinum Gentleman's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

A special thanks goes out to TerryF (South Africa) for providing me with a nice 'giraffe bone' blank. An easy turn with the help of carbide tools. Good to be able to turn a full size Gent since it's been far too long that I have turned a pen. Was beginning to fear that I had forgotten how to do 'it'. Thanks in advance for your viewing moment here at SOYP.

P1010005.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010001.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
A special thanks goes out to TerryF (South Africa) for providing me with a nice 'giraffe bone' blank. An easy turn with the help of carbide tools. Good to be able to turn a full size Gent since it's been far too long that I have turned a pen. Was beginning to fear that I had forgotten how to do 'it'. Thanks in advance for your viewing moment here at SOYP.

Hi Peter; While I'm not a big fan of non-postable pens, you certainly have done this one justice!

Would you mind explaining the ring on the nib portion of the pen?:)Thank you, Sir!

wizard

Beautiful pen Peter!! Like the choice of the polished components..makes the bone blank stand out more. Thanks for showing. Doc:)

thewishman

That looks good! Any problems or challenges with the bone? I have giraffe and elephant bones from Terry yet to turn. Since the bone is so dense, how is the weight of the Gent?

:clown:Hey, Peter, whose carbide tool did you use?:clown:

wood-of-1kind

That looks good! Any problems or challenges with the bone? I have giraffe and elephant bones from Terry yet to turn. Since the bone is so dense, how is the weight of the Gent? I'll give you tw(2) guesses as to which carbide tool that I use and if you guess correctly you don't get one.lol

Hi Chris,

Giraffe bone is very hard and stable. Very straightforward to turn. It does not smell as bad as antler but yet it emits a pungent odor. The total weight of this full sized Gent is 90 grams or just under 4 ounces. These Gents are like small 'clubs' and are more geared towards the 'collector'.

Mack, the ring band on the nib end is for 'decorative' purposes. Actually it's where I joined the two pieces of the giraffe bone. Got overconfident when drilling and basically 'screwed' up. This was my idea of recovery, simply by using the giraffe shavings with a little CA and you get the idea. Even after making a thousand plus pens, I gotta tell myself to not rush and 'focus'. That's my story and I'm 'sticking' (pun intended) to it.:wink:

Last edited:

terryf

bummer, I would seen that as a great opportunity to add some gold coloured filling.

It might be a pleasure to turn with the right rools but that still doesn't make it easy! Thats stuffs as hard as bone :biggrin:

Nice work Peter

That looks good! Any problems or challenges with the bone? I have giraffe and elephant bones from Terry yet to turn. Since the bone is so dense, how is the weight of the Gent? I'll give you tw(2) guesses as to which carbide tool that I use and if you guess correctly you don't get one.lol

Hi Chris,

Giraffe bone is very hard and stable. Very straightforward to turn. It does not smell as bad as antler but yet it emits a pungent odor. The total weight of this full sized Gent is 90 grams or just under 4 ounces. These Gents are like small 'clubs' and are more geared towards the 'collector'.

Mack, the ring band on the nib end is for 'decorative' purposes. Actually it's where I joined the two pieces of the giraffe bone. Got overconfident when drilling and basically 'screwed' up. This was my idea of recovery, simply by using the giraffe shavings with a little CA and you get the idea. Even after making a thousand plus pens, I gotta tell myself to not rush and 'focus'. That's my story and I'm 'sticking' (pun intended) to it.:wink:

Sataro

Very nice looking pen! Used antler a lot of times, but never any other bone. My dad hog hunts every other night. May have to get him to save me a leg bone to play with. :)

Top Bottom