Platinum Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisExp

Platinum Cigar dressed in spalted tamarind. I got this blank from Pilot1022. The details in the wood are amazing, I could spend hours studying it :)

As always your comments/critiques are appreciated. Thank you for looking.

spaltedtamarindplatinumcigar2.jpg

spaltedtamarindplatinumcigar1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I use to spend hours looking at a piece of wood, too...only that was in the 60's. [:p] Seriously, that's a very nice pen.

There are tablets available now Lou! lol [}:)]

Beautiful pen, the blank is excellent indeed! [:p]

CrazyBear

I think the tablets were the cause of the problem in the sixties[:)][:)][:)]
Originally posted by ligget
<br />
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I use to spend hours looking at a piece of wood, too...only that was in the 60's. [:p] Seriously, that's a very nice pen.

There are tablets available now Lou! lol [}:)]

Beautiful pen, the blank is excellent indeed! [:p]

VisExp

Originally posted by edstreet
<br />How soft was this wood?

Ed

Thank you all for you kind words.

Ed, the wood was soft but in a way that was very nice to turn. It never felt in danger of blowing out. I had stabilized it with Min Wax Wood Hardner. That in itself was another story [:I]

While using our Foodsaver to vacuum seal some meat a light bulb went off in my head "I could use this to help stabilizing pen blanks". I rushed out to the store and brought one of the Foodsaver canisters. Poured the wood hardner in it, added three blanks, hooked the tube up to the Foodsaver and turned it on. Things were going great. There were bubbles coming out of the wood and after about ten minutes the blanks sank. I set the canister aside and thought I would take the blanks out after an overnight soak. A couple of hours later I just happened to check on them.

A word to the wise. Min Wax Wood Hardner has an adverse effect on plastic containers. What a mess! [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom