Plain Walnut With Pickguard Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

While I was playing with a few bottle stoppers today I had this on the go at the same time.
This time plain walnut with a plastic pick guard knot.
I have made quite a few acrylic with pick guard knot and several wood with wood knot and this time wood with plastic knot. .
They sure sell fast.
When you get the pieces lined up properly when gluing and get the hole dead center something unusual happens. When applying the BLO/CA finish at 1800 rpm as the piece is spinning to-wards you a strange phenomenon happens. The knot can be seen as a strobe rotating back-wards. Kinda cool to watch.
I put bright copper hardware on this one for a change. Quite a few of my customers have chosen the bright copper over gold or chrome so I try to keep a variety of all of them.

walnutwithplasticknot.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Great way to turn an ordinary pen into one that is extraordinary!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

W.Y.

I will probably make a tutorial on my next one and put it on my Woodworking Friends Turning Tutorials board after some visitors leave and things settle down. My summer craft sales are over so I have a couple months of catching up time before the pre - Christmas ones.

They are really quite simple to make and easily repeatable . I have seen some elaborate jigs and clamping arrangements used used by some to make them which I find unnecessary . Just a few scraps of wood for jigs and one clamp is all I ever use.

W.Y.

Members of my own site have been asking me to do a tutorial on my particular way of making the Celtic knot pens so yesterday afternoon I headed out to my shop with my camera and made a tutorial right from scratch for this particular pen of plain walnut with a Osage orange knot.

The tutorial has twenty three 640 x 480 size pictures and is posted in my Turning Tutorials board. If anyone is shy to get involved in asking further questions on it here , my email address is below in my signature and I would be pleased to be of service that way.

Here is the pen that the tutorial is on . The second picture is turned one eigth of a turn from the first one to see how it changes in appearance as it is rotated.

Walnutwithosageorangeknot2.jpg

walnutwithosageorangeknot1.jpg

OKLAHOMAN

William, went to the tutorial, thanks your jigs are so simple it's scary, just goes to show that you don't need deep pockets to do deep pocket pens.

Top Bottom