The Pits!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mbroberg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Here is a Long Clicker dressed on black Bakelite. This is the first Bakelite I've turned. It is tough as nails!! Anyway, in certain areas directly opposite each other on the blank there are some pits that I couldn't turn or sand away. I am 99% positive I did not chip the blank while turning. Is this common to Bakelite, or am I wrong and did probably cause these small pits myself? All comments and critiques welcome.

The nose end looks under turned in the photos. It isn't. Oh, by the way, I tried a different lighting set up with my photos. I'd appreciate feedback on the pictures as well.Thanks!!

Attachments

• Bakelite Click1.JPG
    Bakelite Click1.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 185
  • Bakelite Click2.JPG
    Bakelite Click2.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Bakelite Click3.JPG
    Bakelite Click3.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Bakelite Click4.JPG
    Bakelite Click4.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Bakelite Click6.JPG
    Bakelite Click6.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Bakelite Click5.jpg
    Bakelite Click5.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

Chuck,

I wet sanded, then Tripoli and White Diamond. Then I attempted to fill the pits with some dark auto paste wax, which actually did a pretty good job. What you see in the picture is much better than before putting the wax on. After polishing to a high shine I did put several coats of medium CA just to seal the wax into the pits. If it hadn't been for that, I would not have put CA on at all.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,

I wet sanded, then Tripoli and White Diamond. Then I attempted to fill the pits with some dark auto paste wax, which actually did a pretty good job. What you see in the picture is much better than before putting the wax on. After polishing to a high shine I did put several coats of medium CA just to seal the wax into the pits. If it hadn't been for that, I would not have put CA on at all.
Mike,I deleted my post because I put up photos of my pen in your thread.NOT COOL! The pits are a mystery to me. The blank I got turned very nicely. I wet sanded to MM12000 ,polished with NovusII ,Plast-X and Renwax.Let me know if you want to see the pics. Still ,that's a nice pen and, good photos.

mbroberg

Mike,I deleted my post because I put up photos of my pen in your thread.NOT COOL! The pits are a mystery to me. The blank I got turned very nicely. I wet sanded to MM12000 ,polished with NovusII ,Plast-X and Renwax.Let me know if you want to see the pics. Still ,that's a nice pen and, good photos.

Thanks for the consideration. Go ahead and show folks what it should look like. I do have 3 or four more of these blanks, and several of other colors. Maybe the next ones will turn out better.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
One thing I thought about that might matter. I turned it with my skew start to finish. Here's my pen.

Attachments

• IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0308-1.JPG
    IMG_0308-1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 132

mrcook4570

If polyester resin is on the brittle side, it will develop tiny pits if too much heat is generated during sanding. I do not know if the same applies to bakelite, but that may be your cause for the pits.

Pics look good. Is that a fingerprint on the nose cone? :eek: :biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Mike, your bakelite looks like industrial grade bakelite vs costume jewerly grade and that could be the reason for the pits. I received some of the indusrial grade in a trade that looks just like yours, most you see here is costume jewerly grade. Do as Jeff said and fill with carbon or black powdercoat powder.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Because most here know Dawn sells a lot of Bakelite, I was concerned that Mike could have gotten it from her.

I have confirmed with Mike that Exotics was not the source for this particular material.

Just so you don't worry about purchasing from Dawn--we can't guarantee bakelite because of its age, but we DO watch what we are selling to try to tell you if we have any doubts about its quality.

No offense meant to any other sellers!!!!

Top Bottom