PITH from Tim Self to D.Oliver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

When it comes to the PITH, Tim is on the ball. This arrived in my PO box like 10 minutes after the partners were announced for the PITH. Sorry it took me so long to get it posted. Tim made this from Japanese Maple burl, bloodwood, desert ironwood burl and a bit of aluminum.

Picture 111.jpg
Picture 116.jpg

And a little better look at the woods.

Picture 114.jpg
Picture 115.jpg

You can see the pen I sent Tim here.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

PITH is an acronym that stands for Pen In The Hat. It is a annual event here at IAP. You sign up for it and are randomly paired a partner who you will exchange a pen with. It stems from a common practice of when pen turning clubs would meet in person they would all put a pen into a hat. Then the hat was passed around and each person drew a pen out and that pen was your to keep. Its a very fun event and I highly reccomend that you join the next one. I know when I first joined up here I didn't feel I was a good enough pen turner to get into the PITH, but that isn't what the PITH is about. It's simply about doing the best you can, trying some new things, meeting some new people and having some fun doing it. So even if you don't feel your pens are front page worthy yet, you should still get into the PITH.

tim self

Now actually I messed up with the alignment. After gluing in the bloodwood, I flipped the other side of the maple and didnt get it arranged correctly. Now we ask know even experienced turners make mistakes. Glad you like it Derek.

Top Bottom