Pith pen sent to Roger.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

My Pith Pen sent to Qbalizhere Roger Main he received it with 4 blanks on the 5th of this month.

The pen is 2000 yrs old Huon Pine Burl faceted.

Kind Regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0011-2.jpg
    DSCF0011-2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF0008-1.jpg
    DSCF0008-1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCF0001-1.jpg
    DSCF0001-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Construction grade pine huh?:confused: Me thinks some of you may have streeeeeeeetched the rules a wee bit.:eek: Nice looking pen. Amazing shape.

Timebandit

Construction grade pine huh?:confused: Me thinks some of you may have streeeeeeeetched the rules a wee bit.:eek: Nice looking pen. Amazing shape.

LOL!!!Thats what i was thinking.....where are they using 2000 year old Huon Pine Burl for construction??

robutacion

My Pith Pen sent to Qbalizhere Roger Main he received it with 4 blanks on the 5th of this month.

The pen is 2000 yrs old Huon Pine Burl faceted.

Kind Regards Peter.

Now, that may be a little far from the "construction pine", at least in our days but, is a hell of a well made pen, Peter...!:wink:

Cheers
George

PenPal

Landon,

My reading of the rules was construction and I know the English language takes a fearfull
thrashing in America and interpretations and pronunciation is always in the mind of the beholder. I have a literal ton or more of Huon that is plain it is used to construct ships has been since the same Brits you have in your country descended from settled in Australia and in Tasmania hundreds of thousands of boats and ships made in Huon Pine abound. My desire is to exchange a unique and distinctive pen each swap. I apologise for the small burl that became exposed as I turned. I will happily replace the pen I made for Roger with Radiata Pine or somesuch common Pine. How I choose to make it is my choice entirely, my challenge is for you to equal it.

Thanks for the exchange opportunity I had.

A pic of my simple device I used together with my lathe there was no sanding on the facets.
If you look carefully at the kit it is the made for David Timberbits Fauna Series Ti Streamline kit Made in Taiwan Aussie animals around the centre band.

This Penmill of my design uses a simple metal mini lathe no longer in production fitted with a device to divide the circle using two gears one a 72 toothed gear for indexing and a matching small gear to hold it spring loaded in position, all this under an outrigger holding a finishing Router affixed the the Quill of the Mill Drill. So I have an X Y and up and down movement, some people go to the gymn for exercise I do a workout on my designed Pen Mill

I nest the mandrel in the tail stock about 3/8 of an inch, I detest with a vengence the 60 degree point to mandrel horrible method of supporting a mandrel, even modified my Pen Lathe the same way as well as my Taig lathe, Pen Wizard as well.

Have fun I do. Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001-1.jpg
    DSCF0001-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 83

Grizz

Banned
Looks like you forgot to turn that completely round before you were done.:wink:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Landon,

My reading of the rules was construction and I know the English language takes a fearfull
thrashing in America and interpretations and pronunciation is always in the mind of the beholder. I have a literal ton or more of Huon that is plain it is used to construct ships has been since the same Brits you have in your country descended from settled in Australia and in Tasmania hundreds of thousands of boats and ships made in Huon Pine abound. My desire is to exchange a unique and distinctive pen each swap. I apologise for the small burl that became exposed as I turned. I will happily replace the pen I made for Roger with Radiata Pine or somesuch common Pine. How I choose to make it is my choice entirely, my challenge is for you to equal it.

No worries, it was not what I had in mind but you are not alone. I did get asked several times to specify which timbers I wanted disallowed, I opted not to say as I did not want to take away the fun from anyone.

"I apologise for the small burl that became exposed as I turned."

This statement did however give me a big chuckle.:eek::biggrin::wink:

Awesome work as usual. You have abilities well beyond my grasp.

Top Bottom