pith pen for papa bear

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from paintspill

paintspill

my pen arrived in texas and as gary is without a camera right now let me post them myself. glad you like it gary. pith was fun. i'm almost looking forward to the next one, almost.

Attachments

• 100_0652 (640x480).jpg
    100_0652 (640x480).jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_0643 (640x480).jpg
    100_0643 (640x480).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 100_0644 (640x480).jpg
    100_0644 (640x480).jpg
    194 KB · Views: 286
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paintspill

i wanted to follow the rules as close as possible. this is an honest to goodness 2x4 from a local lumber yard. a left over from some shelving supports at work. i cut my blanks across the 2x4 to give the pattern you see. i tryed to stain it at first but pine doesn't stain well especially end grain. so i sanded it and burnt it with a propane torch. very carefully. this is of course after the blank exploded three times. i was so happy with how it turned out and got so much intrest in it at home and work i couldn't bear to part with it. i finished it only a week after sighning up for pith but only sent it last week. thanks to some possitive encouragement from a fellow iap member. now i'm glad i decided to send it.

PaulDoug

Certainly gives me a new respect for pine! Beautiful work and great imagination jputing that together. That is an awesome pen.

toddlajoie

Absolutely fantastic!!!!!

Very unique piece of wood, and spectacular work on the fit and finish... The grain pattern in relation to the pen is brilliant!!!!

ctubbs

That is one beautiful piece of timber. I have never said that about pine before, not ever.
I am so glad to hear about everyone's stuff blowing up, not because you are having problems, but because mine re doing the same. I've quit counting and just keep trying. I have made contact with my partner and received encouragement. As long as they keep making pine, I'll keep blowing some up. One of these days, yes one of these days, I'll get one pen out of a tree.
Charles

robutacion

Great job you done there mate...!:wink:

As soon as I saw it I knew what you done with the pine wood, in fact, the colour gives it away, as no other system will produce anything even close...!

The torch surface burning, is a very old method use with pine woods, from the simple surface coloration to the more deep effect when the burning is a little more "persistent", something that wouldn't work well on a pen barrel being so thin wall wood but, the light burning is certainly very effective on a good selected piece of pine.

Is the resin within the wood that does most of the effects work, apart from the decoration side of the burning, I remember well to use an old style gasoline torch to slightly burn the pine surface to force the excessive resin to come out, as the heat would melt it and push it out to the wood surface. After dry/cool down the surface was then scraped and sanded down to a smooth finish in preparation to either oil painting or cover the wood with a serious of coats of a past that was home made in those days where the Lindsey oil was one of the main ingredients, that had to be boiled by us in old pots that would stink the house and everything else a mile radius for days and days. I just can't remember what this "past" or the method of application is called, damn...!:mad:

This was done, particularly to pine wood doors and windows installed in houses, in those days, and before the primer and oil paints are/were applied. This past, type soft patty, would be spread all over the wood surface covering every bit of it and following the wood design/pattern, its application was done with high quality spatulas of different sizes, and by no means, the application of this patty was/is an art, that you see reproduced quite often by the panel-bitters when repairing cars body...!:confused::eek:

Anyway, another perfect example of what this pine wood allows, if people would stop calling and treating the Pine wood as simply rubbish, in most cases like here in Australia where people don't want it even for firewood, unless is old red gum, ain't any good, so they say...!:mad: damn fulls...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Papa Bear

It is an awesome pen!!Going to be my new carry pen at work!the finish and fit are perfect,I couldn't have asked for a better pen!thanks again,Marc!

Last edited:

omb76

Very nice Marc! I torched your pen a couple of times too, but it didn't turn out nearly as nice as this one. I won't say anything else about yours since you haven't gotten it yet.

Top Bottom