PITH I sent to Bob Burt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I don't know if this will ever reach Bob, I sent it the day either before or the day of the Postal strike, It's not a lot, but there was another pen with it so it didn't get lonely, I guess I'll have to make another , and in reality this was a simple one shot pen, No blowups now horror stories, just plain old white pine, segmented with some Guitar wbw pick guard, Any how I do hope Bob gets it, it is the first pen I've ever done out of white pine, (and the last)
There was a nice pen to keep it company, I think he'll like it a bit more.
Click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture.

Attachments

• Bob-Burt.jpg
    Bob-Burt.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't know if this will ever reach Bob, I sent it the day either before or the day of the Postal strike, It's not a lot, but there was another pen with it so it didn't get lonely, I guess I'll have to make another , and in reality this was a simple one shot pen, No blowups now horror stories, just plain old white pine, segmented with some Guitar wbw pick guard, Any how I do hope Bob gets it, it is the first pen I've ever done out of white pine, (and the last)
There was a nice pen to keep it company, I think he'll like it a bit more.
Click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture.
Ahh come on, you are tougher than that.:eek::wink::biggrin:

bitshird

Curses upon you Landon you horrible fiend,, LOL actually this was a one shot pen, and did take a sharp tool (which I just happened to have. i couldn't think of any thing to do with such a characterless piece of wood, You could have said Cedar, at least it has some personality. no breaking at the segments no expolding blanks, but I just couldn't think outside the box enough for the wood. After what Ben sent me I feel like a world class jerk, that was a pen to be proud of, and I am, I've shown it to several folks today. but at least if the package gets there there will be a nice surprise for Bob.

robutacion

Curses upon you Landon you horrible fiend,, LOL actually this was a one shot pen, and did take a sharp tool (which I just happened to have. i couldn't think of any thing to do with such a characterless piece of wood, You could have said Cedar, at least it has some personality. no breaking at the segments no expolding blanks, but I just couldn't think outside the box enough for the wood. After what Ben sent me I feel like a world class jerk, that was a pen to be proud of, and I am, I've shown it to several folks today. but at least if the package gets there there will be a nice surprise for Bob.

Ouch Ken, those are strong words for my "beloved" Pine woods...!:eek:

Is something about the word PINE that, throws some people out, I know and I don't have any plausible answer, apart from the fact that, I do actually know exactly why "people" think like that, however, as an "underdog" in the timber world, I'm a Pine "defender" true and true, is its resin and sawdust that runs in my veins for as long as I remember and I'm proud of it...!:wink::biggrin:

While I hope that you see the "false criticism" and the humor behind what I'm saying, I prefer to joke about it than that all serious, as I once did. In fact, it seems I get better results this way and, with people like Landon, giving me some hope:eek::wink:, I'm sure the PINE myth will survive for many decades to come but, some here have seen something about Pine wood that they never though possible so, thanks Landon mate, you made me proud...!:wink::biggrin:

OK, I feel better now...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

ctubbs

I've been trying to guess which tool Ken would use for turning a pine pen. Let me think now, huuuuummmmmmmm, maybe a skew or even possibly a roughing gouge? Yeah that must be it, a 2" Roughing Gouge!

Just kidding Ken. That is one smooth looking pen there. I hope it arrives in one piece.
Charles

bitshird

I've been trying to guess which tool Ken would use for turning a pine pen. Let me think now, huuuuummmmmmmm, maybe a skew or even possibly a roughing gouge? Yeah that must be it, a 2" Roughing Gouge!

Just kidding Ken. That is one smooth looking pen there. I hope it arrives in one piece.
Charles

Charles, Finish?? what finish?:rolleyes: I just hope Bob gets it. it's been quite a while since I mailed it, I think I have a tool that will help if I need to send another one:wink: Pine really isn't as bad as it was made out to be, just plain soft white pine is kind of plain, I'm just spoiled. But it was a good learning experience.:eek::eek:

Top Bottom