PITH for Flash880

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Evening everyone, just got a message that Flash received his Pen this past Friday, and wanted to share this one with you all. This is my first PITH, and look forward to these from now on. I sent this Chrome Atrax Fountain Pen down south last week. After many failed other attempt at a design, this just sorta came together! I hand laid each quail egg piece to create this gradated mosaic using black flexible CA Glue. First time I have used this stuff, mixed feelings, but overall successful. I did not however cast these tubes, traditionally, however I built up a whole bunch of ca glue until i could put a tool on it without catching the shell. Sanded up with MM and polished it off with novus 2 and Plastix. Switched out the nib for a #5 Heritance from Ed and Dawn. C&C Welcome, more of these are in the works!

Attachments

• quail 3.jpg
    quail 3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Heritance nib quail.jpg
    Heritance nib quail.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_8675.jpg
    IMG_8675.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 202
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Thanks! You can obtain quail eggs various places, cleaned and hollowed from etsy etc... Or fresh from some markets.

jmbaker79

Thanks! You can obtain quail eggs various places, cleaned and hollowed from etsy etc... Or fresh from some markets.

Or directly from the nests....lol.

if your into that sure! We grabbed these from an asian market, and quickly put them to use battering jumbo shrimp! Takes a few but pretty sure no quail were harmed in the making of this writing instrument!

Time consuming yes, first one took about 2 hours to lay out each piece, time now is cut in about half with the last couple, just waiting to cast them. Should look pretty awesome when they are done.

Gilrock

if your into that sure! We grabbed these from an asian market, and quickly put them to use battering jumbo shrimp! Takes a few but pretty sure no quail were harmed in the making of this writing instrument!

Time consuming yes, first one took about 2 hours to lay out each piece, time now is cut in about half with the last couple, just waiting to cast them. Should look pretty awesome when they are done.

Ok so get them from the asian market who got them directly from the nests...

Gilrock

Anyways I should have mentioned first that I thought this was an awesome pen. Hand placing all those pieces is quite impressive.

I was just poking fun about the eggs. I don't want anyone to mistake me for some whacko animal rights activist. I'd be glad to show the nice whitetail I shot last week.

jmbaker79

Ok so get them from the asian market who got them directly from the nests...

True True!

JohnU

Looks great! I've made several blanks with shell pieces this way and have wondered about egg shell pieces. Now I know. Time well spent! A total success. Congrats!

Top Bottom