PITH for Brez

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonM

JasonM

Spoke with Mike and he received the pen I sent, so posting a photo here to share with everyone.

Spalted Ironwood with plexi finish

I had particular fun with this as I tried a bunch of new things that I had never done before, so it was a chance to experiement and learn as there are a number of "firsts" for me:
- first TBC
- first plexiglass finish
- first time cutting my own blank from foraged wood

Attachments

• P1000534.jpg
    P1000534.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JasonM

A finishing process that I got some guidance on from Chris "thewishman".

Similar to the CA finish process, but with a plexiglass solution obtained by melting down plexiglass pieces in acetone.

Worked pretty well, but I'm going to play some with the ratio of plexi to acetone to get something a little thinner than what I had, which was akin to thick CA.

JasonM

actually it was pretty easy. Got a chunk of cut off plexi from lowes for $1. Cut up a piece a little larger than my hand, put it in a jar with enough acetone to cover. Cap it and let it sit for a couple days for the plexi to disolve. Put the solution in a squeeze bottle and then apply it with a paper towel similarly to the CA approach.

I still have a ways to go to perfect my approach, but overall the steps to make it happen were pretty benign.

plantman

Jason: The first is always the one that you remember the most !! And you improve your skills from that one on. Nice breaking of the ice. Jim S

Top Bottom