PITH from bensoelberg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

This is an amazing piece of work, first the box is totally cool, it's oddly enough a pine block, with Walnut ends, in the open picture you can see the magnets that hold it closed, and they are strong little buggers, the pen is absolutely gorgeous I'm not sure what the feathers are made from but they appear to be possibly Bloodwood and lined with Aluminum, and done on a Zen here are the pictures Thanks Ben for a great PITH!!!

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Pen-and-Box.jpg
    Pen-and-Box.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Pen-Open.jpg
    Pen-Open.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

Thanks for the positive feedback. When I saw that I was going to be sending a pen to Ken, I wanted it to be a good one. I'd been wanting to try the feathers for a while and figured that a Zen would be the perfect kit to put them on. I cut a 2x4 down into a 3/4 by 3/4 inch square, then cut the grooves so they were just deeper than a 1/2 inch. I then tried to rip a piece of walnut to be the exact same size as the grooves, but it ended up being slightly too thin, so I glued some Pepsi can to each side. I then epoxied the walnut/aluminum in place and turned it down to size. Once that was done, I was horrified to see that some of the epoxy had leeched up the grain in the 2x4 and the whole thing looked kind of crappy. I didn't have time to try again so I figured that I'd try dying it with food coloring to see if I could hide the epoxy. I was super happy to see that it did. After the dye, I couldn't even find the spots that I wasn't happy with, so I put a CA finish on it and assembled it. I made the box out of 2x4 also because Ken had been so vocal about how little he liked the material. I initially had considered sending him a box full of blanks made from a 2x4, but then decided that a pen box would be better.

Top Bottom