PITH for 3Peake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from underdog

underdog

I finally received, with great relief, the news that 3Peake's pen made it across the Atlantic unscathed, and much appreciated. :)

So now I can finally show off the finished product. It's a Elegant Beauty from Berea Hardwoods. I pyro-ed a design on some Hard Rock Maple, then put a CA glue finish on it. After a few days the CA started to crackle.:mad: After several tries to get the CA glue applied, taking it back off, re-burning and re-finishing with NEW, non-crackling CA glue here is the finished pen:

Attachments

• PyroPen1.jpg
    PyroPen1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 220
  • PyroPen2.jpg
    PyroPen2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

It turned out really nice. Glad to see you had the dedication to get it done. I don't know that I would have had that kind of patience.

3Peake

Pictures just don't do justice to this beauty. It sparkles in the light as you turn it.
There is no way I would have the patience to do this. It's awesome. Many Thanks again Jim.
Hope yours arrives quickly.

underdog

Pictures just don't do justice to this beauty. It sparkles in the light as you turn it.
There is no way I would have the patience to do this. It's awesome. Many Thanks again Jim.
Hope yours arrives quickly.

You are quite welcome Martin. I wish I could say it was purposeful, but the sparkles were quite inadvertant I assure you. It's caused by the old CA bubbling when hit by the woodburner on the reburn. There was no way to completely get the old stuff out. But once finished, it seemed to add interest, so I left it.

I may have just hit on a new finishing technique...:tongue:

underdog

Thank you all for the compliments! I live for them... :biggrin:

I should add that the inspiration for this came from Cynthia Gibson here in Houschton Georgia. If you want to see her work, you can see it here. --> Home I just wanted to see if I could duplicate what she had done. The pen is my work, but her idea (as far as I know).

underdog

The only thing I can think of is that it was an old bottle of CA. I'd hit it with accelerator and the CA would crack. I used new bottles and a new can of accelerator and no more problem.

Top Bottom