Piratinera Guianensis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think I'm finally tired of snakewood. I'm not fond of the kit, but they sell so what the heck.

2006625529_SnakewoodPa.jpg

200662563_SnakewoodPaOpen.jpg

Thanks for looking and a special thanks for those who comment. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Good wood, Lou (I'm not real fond of the shape, but if it sells, its BEAUTIFUL!!)

Has this design worked to keep snakewood from cracking??

Ryan

I like it Lou! The black crome kit looks great with the snakewood. I was planning on picking up some snakewood from bill on the 14th and now I will have to find me a black crome kit to go with it. I have wanted to try this kit, but I have been wondering if it will be too tail heavy. What do you think?

Ryan

BigRob777

Simply awesome Lou,
I'm getting ready for a week of turning and I can't wait. I think I'll hold off on my snakewood blank though. I don't think I'm ready for it, or my eaglized blanks yet.
Rob

angboy

Originally posted by Huzzah
<br />angboy - I believe piratinera guianensis is the scientific name for snakewood. Those scientist love to use latin names for simple things to help justify the money they spend on their schooling [:D]

Thanks! I wondered if that might be it, but I also thought that since it was Lou, there might have been some tongue-in-cheek play on words or something!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I agree with the others, Nice Pen. Another name for it would be Hebi ki or Hebi no ki. Take a guess what language that would be? [:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the kind words. The name is, in fact, the genus and specie (in Latin--sorry, Hank, but I'm not quite ready for Japanese!).
Gerry - the finish is a lacquer sanding sealer, finished with lacquer and TSW. Ed, this kit has a lot of meat on the tubes, so I doubt there will be as high a probability of cracking. This is my 7th snakewood pen this year, ranging from 3 weeks old to four months old. None have cracked (nervously saying a small prayer). The Panache is more comfortable to write with than it looks. The balance is fine. The looks aren't my taste, but they are very popular with my co-workers. I think it attracts the faux-artistes. BTW, if any of you are staying away from turning snakewood, the turning is quite simple as is the finish. It's the part about holding your breath for a few months that makes most folks crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom