Pipe Dreaming!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

As most know here I do very little woods, but this week I received some rare Brier Burl from Christos while he was in Greece, I love the subtle but classy eyes and grain. I can almost smell some fine pipe tabacco :biggrin::wink:.
As always all comment welcome.

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2957-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

Nicely done! Did you have any issues getting the finish to "stick" to the barrels? That's the one frustration I have with briar...so dense, it sheds CA!

OKLAHOMAN

That is drop-dead gorgeous!! As always, Roy, fantastic work!! If you don't mind me asking, what type of finish is on that gem?

Nicely done! Did you have any issues getting the finish to "stick" to the barrels? That's the one frustration I have with briar...so dense, it sheds CA!

Roger and Jon, the finish is Stick Fast CA, Yes this is dense, very dense wood but the Stick fast worked well, I made one change as I wanted a more natural look so I gave it two coats of the semi gloss instead of one semi and one high gloss polish.
Thank all who posted.

Jon-wx5nco

Roy,
I was given a few pipe blanks that just weren't "up to par" to be made into a pipe. Somewhere I have a picture where I split one and turned it into a Wall Street. I wish that wood was easier to get and less expensive. I had more fun turning the briar than anything else I have turned.
Your pens look awesome!! Thanks for showing those
Jon

firewhatfire

I look at that stuff from time to time and always think it cost more than my abilities can live up to. Plus I don't have a market for high end pens just yet and have not started doing shows.

Top Bottom