Pinstripes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

Jr. Retro dressed in silky oak and dyed veneer pinstripes. The pattern repeats six times around the blank, so the stripes line up, capped or posted, regardless which thread is started.

Thanks for looking and all comments are appreciated.

1_JR-RB-R-0001.jpg

1_JR-RB-R-0001-2.jpg

1_JR-RB-R-0001-3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

I am constantly and consistently amazed and humbled by your work Keith. You are now the 2nd person, the other is a friend, that louts the use of a scroll saw. Do you use German style blades (my understanding is they cut on the way up and down not just down)? Are you willing to share how to get started and some easy projects to try? I know I am convinced that I want to try one out.

VisExp

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Nice job as always Keith. How wide are the six stripes? Is it narrower than 3/32"

Mike

Thanks Mike. It's not what you're thinking :) Once I had made the six sided blank I used a jig on my table saw to hold it safely and securely. The stripes are around 1/16". Freud Diablo circular saw blade. A pass through the drum sander with the center veneer and the three pieces of veneer fit nice and snug in the saw kerf.

Keith, the man upstairs is smiling.

:biggrin: Thanks Roy

Looks great Keith. Been awhile since I saw one of your pens.

Work picked up in March and I've been busy hanging cabinets Jeff.

I am constantly and consistently amazed and humbled by your work Keith. You are now the 2nd person, the other is a friend, that louts the use of a scroll saw. Do you use German style blades (my understanding is they cut on the way up and down not just down)? Are you willing to share how to get started and some easy projects to try? I know I am convinced that I want to try one out.

Thanks Ty. I actually didn't use a scroll saw on this one. I get my blades from Mike's Workshop. Flying Dutchmen blades. I guess he is from Holland originally but the blades are from Germany :biggrin: I use his "Ultra Reverse" blades. They cut on both the up stroke and the down stroke. For what I'm doing though that is immaterial as the top and bottom of the cut get turned off.

Here is his website: http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

The best tip I can give is to make sure you match the width of the blade to the thickness of your insert. Draw a pattern on a pen blank and start cutting and gluing :) It's really not that difficult, just can be time consuming.

J

jackrichington

can't get more clever than that...getting them to align is pretty close to genius

leehljp

Member Liaison
I made an "8" pin stripe a couple of years ago and the second blank came out perfect. I did mine exactly like yours. Then the next 5 tries ended in something being out of balance somewhere, or a kerf too wide. I tried it again last summer and the same problems.

IMO, that is the hardest pen to make and keep everything in proportion!

I am will try it again this summer. My hat is off to you! I just can't seem to get it perfect anymore. GREAT Work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom