"Pinky" - Flame Box Elder Sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

This is one of the pens I was working on for the newbie challenge. I haven't decided if I'm going to enter it or not. I've got a few others I'm working on and may enter. This pen is Flame Box Elder and Pink Ivory on a Sedona with a CA finish. I replaced the finial and the post with Pink Ivory.

As always, comments, critiques and complaints welcome.

Attachments

• pinky.jpg
    pinky.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 328
  • pinky3.jpg
    pinky3.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 290
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It's my understanding of the rules of the "Newbie" contest that you have to have been making pens for only 6 months or less. Good luck convincing any of us of that. Oh yeah..... that is a very nice pen. Great work.

talbot

Nice work Ben, the sculpted look is very effective. Were the woods turned separately and then assembled.
regards,Bill

davinci27

... making pens for only 6 months or less....

Shouldn't be too hard to prove. Here's my first one.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37008

talbot; said:
Were the woods turned separately and then assembled.

That's what I tried with the first few but they didn't turn out to well. Thanks to oobak's guidance, I started gluing up the smaller segment and turning just that piece then gluing on the larger one and finishing the barrel. Took a few more tries, but I'm beginning to get the hang of it. I'm anxious to get this technique down, next I want to try three differnt step levels.

workinforwood

It's a spectacular pen, no doubt about that, but you are going to need to step up another level higher because my newbie pen is a colored glass sculpted mermaid hugging a piece of jade that I spun into a ball and mounted to a hand cut beveled marble base.

jkeithrussell

It's a spectacular pen, no doubt about that, but you are going to need to step up another level higher because my newbie pen is a colored glass sculpted mermaid hugging a piece of jade that I spun into a ball and mounted to a hand cut beveled marble base.

Yeah, I did one of those this morning too. Only mine also has a solar powered microwave (that I built from scratch using only wood products) hidden inside the finial, which also glows in the dark.

davinci27

Yeah, well I managed to use a pressure pot to cast coal and convert it to diamonds. I've already got it drilled and an the lathe. I'm making the clip and fittings out of unicorn horn, but we all know how punky unicorn horn is. I've been trying to stabilize it with CA, but if it doesn't turn out this is my follow up entry for the contest.

talbot

Yeah, well I managed to use a pressure pot to cast coal and convert it to diamonds. I've already got it drilled and an the lathe. I'm making the clip and fittings out of unicorn horn, but we all know how punky unicorn horn is. I've been trying to stabilize it with CA, but if it doesn't turn out this is my follow up entry for the contest.

This is getting silly now you guys!!! Everone knows there's no such thing as a Unicorn
regards, Bill

jkeithrussell

Oh, I forgot to mention that I chopped mine up into 3 million equally sized and perfectly square pieces, lamimated them all in perfectly straight lines, and assembled them all into a checkboard pattern that is square within a tolerance of 0.000004 inches. I forgot to mention it because that was the easy part. I tried to make it a little more challenging by adding 4 overlapping 20-ring celtic knots, but I didn't want to show off.

davinci27

Oh, I forgot to mention that I chopped mine up into 3 million equally sized and perfectly square pieces, lamimated them all in perfectly straight lines, and assembled them all into a checkboard pattern that is square within a tolerance of 0.000004 inches. I forgot to mention it because that was the easy part. I tried to make it a little more challenging by adding 4 overlapping 20-ring celtic knots, but I didn't want to show off.

Any chance you can write up a tutorial for the library?:biggrin:

jkeithrussell

Any chance you can write up a tutorial for the library?:biggrin:

I've already downloaded a set of AutoCAD 3-D drawings with hyperlinks to videos showing how each step was performed (the video was taken in a professional studio, of course). I just started on this project a couple of hours ago, so it will take me another 3 or 4 minutes to finish up the full-color tutorial with graphics. Plus I was busy yanking the antlers off a live bull-moose so that I could do a production run of antler pens for my PTA meeting tonight.

davinci27

Funny thing. I almost didn't finish the pen because I saw the same thing as your wife. My wife, who is usually much quicker to notice these things (dirty minded women), said it looked fine to her, so I went ahead and finished it. It's all done now, so at this point I just say whatever.

Top Bottom