Is this Pink Ivory? Streamline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from talbot

talbot

I had this blank marked as pink ivory but wasnt sure so took a pic and now I think I was wrong. When I turned it the shavings and dust were really vivid pink/red and this is how it turned out.:confused:
It changes colour from dark brown to almost orange as the light changes.
Is it pink ivory or something else.
Beautiful piece of wood and i'd love to get some more,,if I knew what it was:)
Hope someone can ID.
regards,Bill

P1020197.jpg

P1010709.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. I actually received some Cocobola recently and it looks completely different,,much darker/deep brown than the piece shown.
I know that woods can vary in colour due to age and cut etc but I always had cocobola as a really dark brown and not orange/red?
regards,Bill

Chasper

I've been sure and wrong about things before, and this time I'm sure that the wood in the picture is diagonal cut Padauk. Definitely not pink ivory, the grain pattern in the pink ivory I've turned is not nearly so prominent and if it was pink ivory there would be a crack in it.

BTW, nice pen.

Last edited:

talbot

P1020205.jpg

Ive attached a pic of the shavings, I always keep stuff like this for filling in splits and voids in bowls and platters.
The shavings are close in color to some padauk blanks that I have but the blank that produced this is nowhere near the colour of padauk. .
Ive also looked at some cocobola blanks Ive got and while some have a hint of orange in them they're not close to this blank in color. They are also quite highly scented this smells completely different almost like a mix of antisceptic and creosote but not as pungent.
Does that help with an ID?

mrcook4570

Odors can definitely help to identify a wood. Cocobolo, padauk, and diamondwood all have very distinct odors. Cocobolo will clog sandpaper quickly with its oils. Padauk is not as dense as the other two. Padauk is also very open grained. Diamondwood is dense like cocobolo but not oily. Instead, it produces very fine dust (when sanding) that is extremely irritating to the eyes and nose (at least to me).

The raw blank looks very much like a laminate, which would be diamondwood. I know it is hard to describe odors (you really need a known sample of each for your own comparison), but your description also seems to point to diamondwood.

Any chance of rotating the raw blank 90 degrees and taking a pic to show the side that has pink ivory written on it?

Dave_M

Looks like Cocobolo to me as well. I have a slimline made from Cocobolo and the wood grain 7 color looks exactly like that one. However I'm still a greenhorn at this game so I'm probably the least likely person on this forum to "Name that wood".

philb

If it is padauk, all the stuff I have every used has a very distinct smell! Almost a musty old smell! Like all newspapers etc!

Does look very straight grain though for a real timber!

Dario

Definitely not pink ivory.

If I have to guess, I would personally lean towards cocobolo. I've turned a few that looks just like that.

JohnU

That looks like the Diamondwood version of Rosewood to me.

The grain pattern is just too straight and regular in thickness to be real wood.
I agree also, rosewood or cocobolo diamondwood. Ive turned hundredes of paduak and cocobolo and Ive never seen any wood have grain that is that even and perfectly sectioned out like that. Ive never had paduak that smooth without the sliver open grain. Not to mention it is much softer than cocobolo.

talbot

Thank you all very much for your replies and suggestions.
Some woods are pretty easy to ID and others can be extremely difficult.
This one has offered up quite a choice and it's still not clear although the more I look at it and see the regularity in the grain, the more I think it has to be a diamondwood.
Whatever it is it yielded a very attractive pen and hopefully it'll give someone pleasure in owning.
Thanks again to you all.
regards, Bill

Top Bottom