Pink Ivory and Curly Maple pens 11 and 12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

My first day of turning and finishing two pens. I also am using thin CA for the finish now and it is much better. The medium stuff was always whitish before. This stuff went on clear. Since I don't have any slimline bushings, I just turn down to some bushings that came with my mandrel. They may be slimline.

The finish on the maple came out the best I have ever done and the turning was good for me too. Thanks for looking.

2005121620160_DSCN1916.jpg

20051216201612_DSCN1917-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Yup, I like the finish on the maple Rob; nice job! The PI finish looks good too! Looks like you're relly gettin' the hang of this!

BigRob777

Pete,
I got this PI from ebay a while ago and this is the first I have turned it. They were half blanks and each one is different. These two looked similar from the outside, but wow, they are different. The clip-end blank is a different color on one side of the pen too.

Jim,
Thanks. I think you are right. I didn't even use a skew on the nib end of the maple. I much prefer the gouge, but I usually don't get such a good line with it, as I did this time. I'm having fun.
Rob

BigRob777

Bryan,
I just responded to your e-mail, but I forgot to mention that I was having that same problem with CA, but I keep it warm now and use thin CA. It may be that the brand is different, or that it is newer. I don't know. I think that the thin stuff is better for an initial coat.
Have a blessed Christmas,[:)]
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom