Pink and Gold Comfort - Inlace Acrylester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

My wife requested a pen for the woman who does her nails and I gave her the catalog to pick a blank. She selected the comfort kit in gold and an inlace acrylester blank that I purchased, but worried a bit. I had heard stories that this material might be above my skill level (beginner). The blank arrived with a set of cautions when cutting, drilling and turning and this added to my worry. I guess it can be done and I really like the material after finishing the pen. The depth is more than can be shown in my photograph.

I will buy more of the material in the future, but stay careful with it.

PenComfortGoldPink2cropped_zpsb7339f0b.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Yep, it can be a real pain to work with, but most pittfalls can be avoided by s l o w i n g waaaaaayyyyy down.:biggrin: In my opinion the depth can you get from these blanks is hard to beat.

Pen looks great by the way. I turned one very similar for my wife to give to her boss.

gratz

MMAYO,
Try the Pink Passion Acrylic Acetate from woodturningz (they are currently out of stock though!), I don't like turning the inlace as it tends to turn like a rock, the acrylic acetate is a bit easier to work with and polishes to a nice finish, I'll look for a picture of the one that I did using this.

Very nice looking pen by the way!

Gratz

Last edited:

Hendu3270

MMAYO,
Try the Pink Passion Acrylic Acetate from woodturningz (they are currently out of stock though!), I don't like turning the inlace as it tends to turn like a rock, the acrylic acetate is a bit easier to work with and polishes to a nice finish, I'll look for a picture of the one that I did using this.

Very nice looking pen by the way!

Gratz

So the Acrylic Acetate from Woodturnigz is less "chippy" than the inlace?

Hendu3270

mmayo,

Here's a breast cancer awareness pen I completed recently that shows the depth a little better. It's the same Acylester blank you used I believe. Very chippy if you cut too fast. But well worth it when it works. It looks like you can a few feet down into the blank.

Attachments

• 2121(1).jpg
    2121(1).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 124

Culprit

That's a good looking pen - nicely done.

I also have to ask how you get the mirror reflection in the photo with a black background. Great picture also.

gratz

Yup,

The acrylic acetate seems to be more of a plastic than the hard rock like inlace acrylic, the below are all acylic acetate (couldn't find a pic of the pink one), turned, then polished with no finish (not as good a picture as yours... still working the picture taking part!).... would recommend giving it a try!

250693_463051540420841_1355024793_n.jpg

mmayo

Thanks for the advice - your pens are very nice in all ways.

I too have turned and like acrylic acetate and liked it. The depth of swirl and sparkle deep in the inlace has me intrigued and might be worth the careful effort required. It may be a mind set to just S L O W down and enjoy the longer more careful process. Today I plan to turn wood because that is usually easy for me. Here is one of my blue dot or blue mesh pens in acrylic acetate.

I may have to refresh that minor in chemistry to better understand how many different types of plastic are out there and how/when to use each type.

PS - that is not dust - I photographed pen (in the past) using a piece of granite floor tile; now I use tinted glass.

BF5290C6-8AB8-4D39-A6D9-114A898AC9F6-3938-00000844873BAAA0.jpg

Last edited:

Hendu3270

When I've turned acrylic blanks (from PSI or Woodcraft, etc) they are like the two pics above, (except for the acrylester previously discussed). They turn really fast and smooth. So I guess I have turned acrylic acetate. I find myself just calling ALL plastic blanks acrylic.

Top Bottom