Pinecone pen with blackwood fill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I'm working out the kinks in the making of these. It takes a lot of patience, a very sharp tool and a fair amount of thin CA glue to get it all to turn out right.

Drilling the hole true to the core is essential. I do not drill all the way through. Only deep enough for the tube and about 1/4 inch on each end.

I use thin CA glue. I put the pinecone in a small glass jar and fill the hole up with thin CA. I let it soak in and really cure for a couple days. I do NOT spray it with accelerator. It seems to cloud the CA if I do and looks bad.

I cut the tip off after drying to expose the hole and begin cleaning out the drilled hole with a round file until the tube will fit. I glue the tube in and let it set for a while.

I trim the sides off on the band saw creating a rectangular blank.
Next I put the blank to the belt sander and take off the edges, rounding things out and taking as much material off as possible.

I square the ends. If it looks really exceptional at this point, I will plug the tube and soak it in thin CA again. Unplug the tube - square up the ends again if necessary and add the bushings and mandrel.

I turn at high speed with a very sharp tool, leaving it wide of the bushings. I fill the holes with blackwood dust, sealing in the dust with thin CA. Sand and gently turn to the bushings - sand some more - finish with CA - sand with 400 lightly! - then micropads. Polish, and assemble.

This is a Sierra tube and Wallstreet III bushings. The Wallstreet III (Woodcraft) gives a little extra diameter to keep things together. enjoy.

Martin

Attachments

• Pinecone-8210.jpg
    Pinecone-8210.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Pinecone-8214.jpg
    Pinecone-8214.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Pinecone-8215.jpg
    Pinecone-8215.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 410
  • Pinecone-8216.jpg
    Pinecone-8216.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 275
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MartinPens

You'll notice in the third photo over that there are two kernels near the top of the pen which are not filled with blackwood. Next time I will take the dremmel and remove this material and fill. I think that would look better.

phillywood

Martin that pen looks stunning and way cool. thanks for the tuto. too. if you be kind to fill the template I will make sure and put a how to Link to this thread. I love this pine pens of yours and waiting for mine when you can send me.

TRRH

Martin.
.....Beautiful!!...I have lots of Pine trees (hey I'm in New Brunswick, Canada-- we have trees!) and I am tempted to try it based on your good instructions

Thanks for posting
Terry

SDB777

Afghan or Monterrey Cone?

I like the idea of leaving the natural seed in the cone...more realistic looking then the black. But if the seed pops out and can't be found I guess the black goo works pretty good!

Scott (fan of the Afghan cone) B

MartinPens

Cone type and fill

Afghan or Monterrey Cone?

I like the idea of leaving the natural seed in the cone...more realistic looking then the black. But if the seed pops out and can't be found I guess the black goo works pretty good!

Scott (fan of the Afghan cone) B

I don't know what kind of pine it is. The pine cone is pictured. Ocassioinally part of the seed, which is off white, will remain in the pod. It is soft and pithy and a little thin CA can secure it. If you like the off white seed look you can get some alternative ivory and fill the pods with that - looks almost identical. I, personally, like the black - it matches the kit well. I also considered using green polymer clay. Filled a few, took a look at it and took it all out. I'm glad I went with black.

Martin

Top Bottom