Pinecone and Olivewood pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from HoratioHornblower

Hi all! Here are some of the pens I have turned recently.
First one is a pinecone blank from Exotics cast by Eric! He did a great job, but I wish I would have colored the glue as I think that caused some problems.:frown: But, the pen turned out nice and now I have future notes for myself! I don't actually know how to color epoxy, so if anyone wants to share their method I would like to hear it!I tried to once, but lets just say it didn't turn out well... Sad thing is you can't see both the good side or the bad as I don't think it showed up in the picture. Anyway, the second pen is Olivewood with the person it was done for initial's segmented into the blank. This pen was actually the second attempt not counting the prototype, so it took me some time! I think it turned out very good, and I only wish I would have used this design on my first attempt as that piece of olivewood had much better grain. Thanks for looking and C&C are welcome!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 225
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 300
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 259
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

Nice job.

Eric's pine cones are sweet, and the depth he gets with his casting is something one can appreciate when one has the advantage of viewing it in person.

I really like what you dis with the inserts on the Olivewood. They are subtle, adding just enough without unbalancing the visual effect of the pen.

WOW! Really nice work on the olive wood pen! Great idea and execution!

Did you use a band saw or scroll saw?

Robert111, I used a scroll saw with 0/2 blades. I believe they were .008 thick. For the alumnium I used cans, which bend very nicely! I used the kind of alumnium that is used in air conditioning for the first attempt, and while being a few shades brighter it was so hard to bend that the wood cracked.:frown:.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I really think God helped me with both, but I really had His help with the the Olivewood pen!

David

Buzzzz4

Nicely done. That olivewood is fantastic! On the pinecone, you are right, coloring the epoxy would have been good. I color the epoxy with a drop of testors model paint or mica powders. Anything along those lines will work. Q-tips make a great applicator. The other method is just filling the holes with med or thick CA and letting that cure. It will add to the depth and not show so white.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Eric! Is it very obvious that the epoxy was not painted? I think it is in person if you know what you are looking for. I think I will sell it for a discount as pens are really my only source of money right now, or maybe I will keep it, I don't know! People seem to really like it, so as long as the customer is happy I can at least get the cost back and then some and make improvements in the future. Also, what type of paint does you use? Is it acrylic or enamel? Thanks again!

David

Last edited:
Top Bottom