Pine one-piece.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

394593_392284880831583_1877069525_n.jpg

487798_392284917498246_1087887409_n.jpg

This is some pine that came from the bleachers at the University of West Georgia's old basketball court. I've made TONS of stuff out of it, but no pens as I was told that the pine wouldn't really turn well. It wasn't the easiest stuff in the world, but still not too tough. I wasn't going to turn any of it, but I used some scraps to test out the drill press alignment, and so I had pre-drilled blanks sitting there. I had a different one I was working on this morning that suffered a tragic failure. Nib popped off the tube while putting the cap/clip on, and trying to get the tube back out was splitting the blank, so I snapped it in half to prevent myself from trying to rescue it like an idiot. Felt a little bit of a need for vindication and figured why not? I left the surface a little textured, as it reminded me of the old advertising for state parks and the like where everything was somehow made of pine wood and too slick of a surface would have interrupted that thought.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That actually looks good. I always wondered if pine with turn well. I would say you proved that it does!
I am curious though how do you open it up? I don't see any place to twist it?

robutacion

I'm a big fan of tight grained old-growth heart pine and some other varieties.
That's a good looking pen.

Oh yeah, me too...!

Is getting nearly impossible to find any trees in our days that have the same tight grain as those old Pine tress such as the old Toona trees.

I manage to get some construction frame wood that was part of the original house/shed of the local Chinese vegetable farm, built about 150 years ago and the wood Toona, was apparently from the local area where some trees did exist, believe to be hundreds of years old.

Cutting through it, I was amazed of its grain and how "sound" the wood was after all these years so I made a few pieces out of it and have been making some pens blanks in various types (angles) from it. Unfortunately, my supply is getting very low and there is no more to collect, making something readily available then and seen as just another old pine species, as something that will disappear all together, shame really...!

That was what I though this pen was made from, looking at the first pic, I have been always a "pine" person so, seeing this pen, is very pleasant...!

Disclaimer: There is no intentions to hijack this thread, my post I feel, is a informative addition to the wood shown and commented on. Pics shown are for illustrative reasons, only...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• my turnings 004_(1).jpg
    my turnings 004_(1).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 138
  • timber preparation 1115z.jpg
    timber preparation 1115z.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 125
  • timber preparation 979z.jpg
    timber preparation 979z.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 123
  • timber preparation 977z.jpg
    timber preparation 977z.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 128
  • timber preparation 984z.jpg
    timber preparation 984z.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 153

SDB777

Last pine I turned was some crosscut(just wanted to see what it'd do), had to soak it down with thinCA to keep it from ripping out on the end grain......wasn't fun to sand either.

You done this long board some good....gonna sell it to some at the school?

Scott (think the coach would want it) B

Drstrangefart

Last pine I turned was some crosscut(just wanted to see what it'd do), had to soak it down with thinCA to keep it from ripping out on the end grain......wasn't fun to sand either.

You done this long board some good....gonna sell it to some at the school?

Scott (think the coach would want it) B

Actually, I know the retired basketball coach personally. That being said, thanks to life hitting the fan I no longer work there or live near there.

corian king

Nice Job on that one! I know most people don't like pine and it's not my absolute favorite but. I had the pleasure of receiving a piece of a pine beam that came out of 150 year old church that they were tearing down.The contractor was a friend oy mine so I got lucky.It came in just in time for the "pith" that we had to use pine in.
Along with the story behind it I think it turned out nice.

Drstrangefart

Nice Job on that one! I know most people don't like pine and it's not my absolute favorite but. I had the pleasure of receiving a piece of a pine beam that came out of 150 year old church that they were tearing down.The contractor was a friend oy mine so I got lucky.It came in just in time for the "pith" that we had to use pine in.
Along with the story behind it I think it turned out nice.

I think the last piece of pine I'd turned was a couple of summers ago. I used the stuff you build deck railings out of. It was WAAAAAAAY softer than I expected. And the Ex lost it before I could get a picture if I remember right.

TerryDowning

Yeah pine is typically open grained and very soft which makes it quite grabby.

Light cuts with properly sharpened tools does the trick (Is it me or is there a theme with that advice and turning??)

Nice job on the pen. I'm surprised no one has mentioned last years pine PITH. Many of us learned to either like pine or hate it.

Drstrangefart

Yeah pine is typically open grained and very soft which makes it quite grabby.

Light cuts with properly sharpened tools does the trick (Is it me or is there a theme with that advice and turning??)

Nice job on the pen. I'm surprised no one has mentioned last years pine PITH. Many of us learned to either like pine or hate it.

I totally missed out on that one. Too busy on the domestic front.

Top Bottom