Pine and Olive Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I started a thread in General Conversation about Pine Wood still saturated with sap. I received several suggestions and this is what I ended up with. Thanks again for your ideas. The insert is Olive Wood and the caps and bottom barrel are Pine. The black and white stripes are guitar pick guard. Everything is crosscut so there would be more grain showing than just a few lines if it were cut with the grain. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1303.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 345
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

When I put them back on the lathe to finish turning the odor was still there but there wasn't anything stinky. The dust loaded up the sandpaper fast but I was able to do a decent job of smoothing everything out. I put a few coats of thin C.A. on it then used Hut Plastic Polish to buff it out. That's pretty much it. I think the key was turning the pen down as close as you feel comfortable then baking it. I feel comfortable the new owner won't have any trouble. Thanks

robutacion

I started a thread in General Conversation about Pine Wood still saturated with sap. I received several suggestions and this is what I ended up with. Thanks again for your ideas. The insert is Olive Wood and the caps and bottom barrel are Pine. The black and white stripes are guitar pick guard. Everything is crosscut so there would be more grain showing than just a few lines if it were cut with the grain. thanks

I never saw your Pine thread so, I don't know what was said about the Pine, the title of this thread is something that I never contemplate in a wood mix whatever, that doesn't make it any better or any worse, and believe it or not, many here will validate that, those 2 wood species are indeed, 2 of my most preferred ones.

I only would like to make some annotation in relation to the "sap" that most Pine species produce, some a lot more than others and that is, one of the easiest and most efficient ways to "remove" or should I say, "cancel" the stickiness of the pine sapwood, is to "crystallize" it, and for that, you need to "roast" the wood, you need to exert sufficient temperature in the wood to make the liquid sap to dry out and solidify, which is called crystallizing.

This is also true for oily woods, if the wood is "cooked/roasted" in an oven for long enough at temperatures that will prevent burning (70 to 80C are OK), the wood cell will dry and any liquid sap/resin/oil will solidify without compromising the normal wood behaviour, allowing any type of finish to be added, without any issue.

Remember that, oily and resinated woods, will bleed easily but friction, this is the reason why, woods in this category that are not crystallized properly, any finish where a rubbing motion is required (burnishing...!) will promote bleeding (sap or oils to come to the surface)...!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
George

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for the comments. I started a thread in General Conversations "Pine Sap" and received several helpful ideas. Baking was the ticket. I crosscut both woods and the end grain really pops when the light hits. I was about a quarter turn off with the inlay so next time I'll pay closer attention to make sure all the ends of the grains match up.

robutacion

Thanks for the comments. I started a thread in General Conversations "Pine Sap" and received several helpful ideas. Baking was the ticket. I crosscut both woods and the end grain really pops when the light hits. I was about a quarter turn off with the inlay so next time I'll pay closer attention to make sure all the ends of the grains match up.

Hi Kenny,

I just read the "Pine Sap" thread, I somehow missed it otherwise, I would certainly provide the same info as I did here.

I'm glad that, your oven time didn't affect the glue up and the plastic insert, I thought it would...!

I'm always willing to explain how to do things and share my experiences...!

It may be better for me to actually finish what I wanted to say in my first post, I focussed on the "sap" solution that, I forgot to comment about the pen, my apologies...!

I was correct when I said that, those 2 wood species wouldn't be a combination that I would think of but, I'm glad you did, the results are quite good, congrats...!

Cheers
George

Kenny Durrant

Thanks George. I wouldn't have normally put the two woods together but a friend from church picked up the wood just for me because of the story behind it and I wanted to give him a pen to say thanks. The problem I'm having now is the building is a corporate office for State Farm and I can't get in to get a picture of the plaque on the wall that describes where and how the wood was obtained.

Top Bottom