Pine cones and banksia casts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Been getting carried away casting lately, and after seeing Amos's pens, I couldn't resist making a few to see how they look. I was in a hurry, so my matching the bushes is a bit rough
redface.gif
. All finished with CA

The pine cones turned without any problems, although I did put thin CA on before and during turning to ensure they held together.

attachment.jpg

The banksias were a bit harder. Even with thin CA applied before and during turning, I still lost a few "dots", just not sure whether they fell out or were never cast in the first place. Just mixed some thick CA with some pearlex and filled them, Once CA is mixed it goes off extremely fast, even with the thick stuff, so I could only fill one at a time. Lucky there was only a few.

attachment.jpg

The one on the right is actually bright purple, but the photos keep coming out blue
confused.gif
The one on the left is also bright candy pink.

I'll need to work out a better way to cast the banksias, perhaps turning first then casting in NewLondon's resin saver moulds. I'll definately be casting more pine cones.

Cheers

Attachments

• pine cone 4.jpg
    pine cone 4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 714
  • Banksia 3.jpg
    Banksia 3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 671
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
that is pretty slick! Those pens are amazing. Is there a tutorial on the casting cones thing?

mickr

pine cone pens sure are nice..each one looks different, even when done the same way...nice asst.

Dai Sensei

Thanks for the comments.

I'll do a WIP next time I make some, I'm going on holidays this weekend, so might be a while.

I will be selling them eventually when I have enough stock for myself, but I am in Australia, so might have to be a group/bulk buy to overcome the postage costs to US.

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww did I say WOWWWWWWWWWW????? I would love to buy either one but the banksias is my favorite,,,, cause I like its unique circles and its a natural product....get working on more so we can buy them!

Last edited:
Top Bottom