Pine Cone from Southeast Arkansas...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

It took a lot of CA & a lot of patience, but in my spare time over 3 days
I was able to turn this pine cone down to fit a PSI Gun Metal Designer....
I know why it is two colors & will do something different next time to prevent that....actions, like poorly chosen words are sometimes hard to correct...
( (I got n a hurry at the end & grabbed a bottle of brown CA) :frown:

Attachments

• PINECONE3.jpg
    PINECONE3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 426
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looks really good to me !!! ... Did you turn that pine cone without first casting it in resin ... just by pouring on the CA ?

Last edited:
Fingers...

One has to be careful with the fingers but, I ran the pine cone thru the band saw to remove the petals....and just left the core. I then saturated the core with thin CA and let it dry over night. Then I filled in around the petals with thick CA (several coats to allow for drying) Then drilled on the drill press and turned down with a round carbide. I stopped twice during the process & removed the blanks from the mandrell and coated them again with thin CA. I will try to take a few more pics to highlight the steps, 'casue u can't just make one...

A blank that has been stablized and cast in resin would definitely be easier!

Looks really good to me !!! ... Did you turn that pine cone without first casting it in resin ... just by pouring on the CA ?

220 grit

Hey Scott! Yea, that 80 grit gouge definitely is useful at times! lol But I was able to gently use a radius cutter to get to the final DIA and then used 220 grit...I usually start at 400 but this blank was a little ornery! What is an Aghan cone?

Almost have to go at these pine cones with a 80grit gouge and then move CA. The brown CA actually 'works'!

Scott (need any Afghan cones?) B

Glue

I bought the brown & black CA glue @ the S.W.A.T. symposium last year in Waco, Texas but I did a quick search on google & found that "the sanding glove" carries the Star Bond products. (It is translucent):)

where do you buy brown CA? I like it.. looks great

BSea

You should know better than to ask Scott a question like that. You'll end up with 2 afghan cones & 60 brd feet of lumber, and a half dozen 75lb bowl blanks.:biggrin:
What is an Aghan cone?

Almost have to go at these pine cones with a 80grit gouge and then move CA. The brown CA actually 'works'!

Scott (need any Afghan cones?) B

Oh, and that's a nice pen. I also have never heard of brown CA. But I agree that it works well.

Gary Beasley

Looks nice! Longleaf pine? Got plenty here in Georgia. I find running CA inside the hole after drilling it strengthens it and helps the blank bond to the tube better.

Top Bottom