Pine Cone Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SkewedUp

SkewedUp

My apologies if this is posted twice...I tried once and it did not seem to take, so I am trying this again. These Pine Cone pens require a lot of effort, but I believe it is worth it. Euro gunmetal pen kit. Thanks for looking, and any and all comments more than welcome.

Doug

Attachments

• PineCone15.JPG
    PineCone15.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,604
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Beautiful looking pine cone pen there doug.
I have made a quantity of pine cone pens and bottle stoppers in recent months. I was lucky to run across a bunch of those big Coulter pine cones that had originally come from California.

W.Y.

TwoPineConeStoppersCustom500x400.jpg

SkewedUp

Those are beautiful stoppers William. Did you stabilize the pine cones? I am wishing I was set up to stabilize my cones - as it is I just stabilize with thin CA as I am turning but that takes a lot of extra time.

W.Y.

Did you stabilize the pine cones? I am wishing I was set up to stabilize my cones - as it is I just stabilize with thin CA as I am turning but that takes a lot of extra time.

I didn't stabilize these . I just used CA as I turned them but I am going to stabilize the next batch because I have another vacuum generator on order to do corn cobs etc so I can do it searately from using the vacuum generrator from my lathe's vacuum chucking system.

W.Y.

SamThePenMan

Doug: Great looking pen! I want to try my hand at pine cones sometime.:) Like your signature too.

William: Like the stoppers, I'm thinking about making a few bottle stoppers for Christmas gifts.

Great work Doug! I love turning pine cones. They are quite a challenge, but the results are absolutely stunning and always different. I also stabilize mine with CA only, it works very well.

I recently came across a Knobby Pine tree that grows along the California coast whose cones have a nice light golden color inside in contrast to the Sugar Pine which is a darker brown.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Top Bottom