This Pine Cone fought a good fight!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Trux

Trux

I had just had a good run with a bunch of pine cone pens when I got to this one. The top cone was full of seeds and tried its best not to stay together- the bottom was only mildly stubborn. I decided on the white sand as a filler first because it is easier on my tools and I need quite a bit of it. Once I had both pieces down to size- I still had alot of voids in the top- so blue sand became the final filler-
Copyofpens2010241.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Trux

Thanks everyone! Glad I stuck with it now. Doug I'm down where it is warm- Cruces. I may have to post the x-mas colored corn cob (green with red sand)- but my-o-my is it ugly!!

Robert Taylor

good job. i just use some of the pinecone itself for filling voids. i keep a ziplock bag of pinecone turning dust just in case. i also keep small bags of other woods for filling voids.

MartinPens

Some of those pine cones can be a pain. But they have such a unique took about them. I fill with african blackwood. I like the color choices. Really nice save. I would love to see photos of the pens that were NOT a particular challenge! Happy Thanksgiving.

Martin

Trux

Ken-These cones are from afgan pines-they don't seem to have sap like most of the other pines- I might pick up some douglas fir cones next time I get to the mountains to try out too.

wiset1

WOW...that's a very striking pen! The contrast in colors really makes it stand out. Well done

dgscott

Doug I'm down where it is warm- Cruces.

Warmer there than here in Taos, which makes the skiers happy! If you venture north, give me a shout. BTW, I'll be doing the Taos Yuletide Craft Fair this weekend.
Doug
PS -- I'll have green on mine.

Top Bottom